Molly Gengorgio

I was walking around Manhattan when I passed by a bench in a little park. A boy about 17 was sitting o the bench. I looked at him when I passed. Bags were under his eyes. I stopped and looked him in the eye. His eyes were dull and lifeless. I snapped my fingers in front if his face. No reply.

I was getting irritated. I was an elder how dare he ignore me.

I slapped him and once my hand came in contact with his skin he just slouched and his eyes became even more dull.

I heard laughing and screaming. I saw a blonde and a girl with cinnamon colored hair with kaleidoscope eyes.

Another girl with frizzy hair and gold eyes.

And then a girl with frizzy red hair.

They passed and saw the boy. Blonde girl looked guilty.

As if he sensed her presence he snapped his head up to look at the blonde girl.

His eyes fell into a misty color. Not even looking green anymore.

One girl gasped. Blondie was looking like she regretted something. She sat by him.

He looked back to the ground and scooted away.

His eyes were becoming more and more white by the second.

I finally focused a bit and saw his eyes were puffy and dried tears were on his cheeks.

The girl tried to touch his shoulder but he just scooted away more. His eyes flashing with fear.

He looked at me and croaked in a voice that sounded like it hadn't been used in a year, "Can you take me home?"

I nodded. He handed me a paper with his address on it.

I lived right next to him.

I lightly grabbed his shoulder and led him to my car.

He climbed into the front seat and leaned against the window.

I dropped him off and he went inside the house.

His mother led me inside with a sad look on her face.

She held up a finger to me in a 'hold on' signal and called to the boy.

"Percy, are you hungry?"

"No."

"Thirsty?"

"No."

"Mind if I leave for a few months? I'm packed already."

"No."

She looked ready to cry.

Poor things I regret slapping him.

There was heavy pounding on the door. Eventually he closed his eyes and fell in to a comatose state with his eyes wide open revealing almost pure white misty eyes.

He started to become unresponsive.

"Life is despair."

"No meaning."

"Hopeless."

"Useless."

His mother was openly crying on my shoulder.

The door swung open. Revealing blondie.

"Meaningless lies."

She tackled the boy, Percy, and he was still unresponsive just staring blankly at the wall.

She slapped him. Nothing. Punched him. Nothing.

He finally screamed and covered his ears. Cradling himself in the corner.

"Elevators. 12 minutes."

She stopped trying to get his attention.

Sally, as I just now remembered her name,said in a depressed and stressed tone,

"His girlfriend can't even get his attention."

"Um, Sally, I uh, broke up with him because I wanted to date Connor."

Sally looked enraged.

"Fine. Get out. If he doesn't get better I'm going to make sure you understand what you did."

She ran out.

Sally hugged him and started whispering in his ear.

A fee months later I saw blondie and Percy kissing in the parking lot.

For people who deserve it, it always works out in the end. Percy, deserves it.