Chapter 7

The monotonous ticking of the electric clock rung each second, the only sound emitted from the hospital room

The monotonous ticking of the electric clock rung each second, the only sound emitted from the hospital room. After all, it was 2 in the morning, a time where the entire city slept.

Haeun was staring up at the blank ceiling- motionless, but awake. She watched the ceiling, locating every single crack and dot that she could in the dim moonlight. But her thoughts were elsewhere, far beyond the ceiling.

With a small and pained grunt she moved upward and sat at the edge of the bed. After a determined inhale, she got to her feet, having to catch herself from stumbling. The stinging of her cuts and pain of her bruises was still there despite the pain killers, however, it was nothing that she couldn't bear with.

The girl then slowly walked over toward the large window and opened it, allowing the fresh night breeze to flow into the room and send a shiver down her spine. She then looked out into the large city of Seoul that laid below.

It shined like a star in the pitch-black night. From where the hospital was situated on a hill, she could even see the edges of the city. It looked so small, and so bright. It was more like a scene from a fairy tale than real life. 

Haeun raised a hand and stuck it out of the window, seeing the disparity between it and the city ahead. It made her realize just how small and insignificant Seoul truly was. How small and insignificant she was.

Lowering her hand, she allowed it to rest on the window frame as her gaze shifted upwards towards the moon.

Night time to many represented darkness, danger, and eeriness. Indeed, many terrible things did happen at night. Something bad was probably happening at that moment to some unfortunate person, to go forever unseen by the rest of the society.

However it was also the most peaceful. Which was also a danger on its own, because it forced Haeun to think about her life.

To her, she herself was a secondary human. She felt largely insignificant to the world, unable to acknowledge the sweetness and kindness other people offered her as appropriate. That's why she never shared whenever she was hurting with anyone- she felt as if she didn't have the right to because she didn't matter.

'Why am I even trying? There's nothing for me to do anymore. I'm worthless. My life is worthless.' 
She thought to herself as she laid her head onto her palm, looking out into the night.

'I'm just a huge coward. I should've never left Busan because of the responsibilities that appeared because of my actions. I should've never even considered staying with mom.'

Her eyes were voidless, emotionless as she stared off. It had been two and a half years since she'd moved to Seoul to start a new life, but the memories of her time in Busan were still as clear as water in her head.

She just wanted to be happy for god's sake.

********************

"This food will legit give me food poisoning." Haeun whined to Yuri who was currently sitting on the hospital bed beside her.