Not Past Tense

Ian Reagan

I heard her, singing in the shower the water slamming the curtain. I had to act quickly. I grabbed the sack of flour and tip toed into the unlocked bathroom. I grabbed her hair dryer and poured flower into it. I set up the camera behind the pile of towels we kept in the bathroom. I left and shut the door, going to get dressed.

~~~~~~~~~~

I was laying on my bed and a loud, piercing scream filled the halls. I quickly jumped up and ran to the bathroom, opening the door. I was blasted by a puff of flour slamming into my mouth, face, nose, and ears. A laughing Dove put down the hair dryer and smiled, pointing at me. I glared and blew flour out of my face. I hadn't put on my shirt, so only my bare skin was affected. I went over to the shower and turned on the water. I grabbed the towel she had used and started to wipe quickly, and then my face and hair. Dove just watched me, hands on hips, smirking. I dried my hair and sat up. I felt small droplets fall onto my back. I smirked. "How'd you know?"

"Saw you." She shrugged and started to brush her hair.

"Thanks for ruining my happiness with that stupid video." HAPPINESS! YOU'RE SUCH A FUCKING LIAR DUMB ASS!

"Happiness?" She whispered, stopping the brush from her hair. Nice going, asshole.

"Yeah. Happiness." I left the room, shutting the door. I heard a loud crash and quickly left my room again. Dove's camera was at her feet, broken. She had tears in her eyes.

"I dropped it. My videos. My singing. My family pictures." She whispered, dropping to the ground. She picked up the lenses and rubbed her fingers against it.

"Hey, it's okay." I said. She shrugged me away.

"Leave me alone." She grabbed it and went to her room, shutting the door loudly, but not slamming. I sighed and went back to my room. It was only 8, and we can't wake everyone up till 9.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard a knock on my door and opened it. Teresa smiled at me brightly and pushed me inside. She turned off the lamp and pressed her lips to mine, roughly. I thought... I pushed off. "You broke up with me, because of the... video..." It was in Dove's camera. She destroyed her personal videos and pictures... for me. Teresa smiled and pressed her lips back to mine. We were against the wall. There was a knock on the door and we jumped apart. Dove opened it, her head hung low.

"Presents." She shut the door and I heard her footsteps walk away. I walked across my room and followed, opening the door. Teresa put her hands in mine and ran with me. I jumped the last steps and entered the living room. I took the couch and Teresa sat next to me, resting her head on me. My father glared at me and then turned away. Dove was sitting in the corner, her book next to her.

"Unpopular nerd." Teresa snorted. Defend her. I can't. Why not? I don't know.... The parents smiled at us.

"Oldest first!" My mom handed me presents and Dove's mom put a phone in Dove's hands and walked next to her husband. Are you fucking serious? You got her nothing! You're just giving her back her phone? I opened the present. Teresa grabbed one.

"Speed up, damn." Teresa growled, ripping the wrapping paper off.

"Get your greedy hands off of it damn." I said back, putting the drawing pad and pencils on the ground. (What? I have a thing for art. Photography, drawing, painting.) The other two were pants and colored pencils. I opened the last one slowly and pulled out a bran new camera. Dove gasped and then put her head back down, continuing her book. I put the book on the ground and pushed it over towards her. She stared at it, her head still low. Then she snapped her book close and looked at me.

"Don't bribe me." She stood up and left, into the kitchen. Nobody followed. I stared at the paper surrounding me.

"Go Lilly and Anthony." I whispered.

I ignored everyone else, even when I was spoken to. I kept staring at the spot that Dove had been in. So empty. And so cold. Like me. I have no heart. I love her, not Teresa. And I ruined everything because of a fucking kiss with a whore. And then this morning... I don't even know. I turned to Teresa. "This isn't gonna work out together. I'm sorry. It's not you, it's me. I'm so sorry." Teresa stared at me and stood up.

"Fine. But... I'll... I'll..."

"Leave my house because your ass just got DUMPED!" Anthony said. His mom glared at him and he blushed.

"Language young man." She hissed. He nodded. Teresa scuffed and left, slamming the door. I got up and walked into the kitchen. Dove's back was to me. She was hunched over the sink, her fingers white from gripping onto it. I touched her slowly. She jumped and spun quickly, breathing heavily.

"Are you okay?" I asked, touching her shoulder. She froze at the touch and pulled her hand back.

"Don't. Touch. Me." She hissed.

"Dove I'm sorry. I never liked Teresa. Ever. Like ever. I guess I was lonely and wanted..."

"Shut up. Shut up. You seriously didn't think you could wait till I kissed you later?" She said, her eyes becoming wide.

"I..."  Why couldn't you?

"See you don't have a reason."

"Give me another chance. Please." I beg, lacing my fingers together.

"Why? So you can break my heart again?" Small tears fell out of her eyes.

"Don't cry." I said. She whipped her eyes.

"I... You lost your chances. I'm done." She pushed past me and I grabbed her wrist.

"Why... why does this upset you?" She laughed through her tears.

"You're an IDIOT! I didn't think someone could be this stupid!" She  whipped her eyes again. "YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY? YOU HAVE FIVE SECONDS TO GUESS!" She held up a hand and counted down. Say it. When she put her pinky down she stared at me. "Answer. Or you'll never fucking no."

"Because you loved me." I whispered. She started to clap.

"OH WOW, YOU DO HAVE A BRAIN. YOU SHOULD USE IT WHOLE FUCKING MORE OFTEN!" I let go of her and she stopped. "But you messed up on one part."

"What?"

"You said loved. It's not past tense." And she walked up the steps.