Chapter 4

Leopardnose dressed herself in white blouse, purple jacket, and green skirt that was long but loose. She looked over at the photos on her nightstand. A photo stood of herself with Rainwhisker, their kits. Another stood featuring a young Goldenflower. To one side of her was Swiftpaw and on the other, Tigerstar, then -claw. Each held a kit; Swiftpaw had Tawnykit, Goldenflower held a happy Bramblekit, and Tigerclaw held the runt he had named after his mother, Leopardkit. All were dressed in their best, nice clothing they'd never wear again.
She left the bedroom, hoping to escape the feeling of emptiness. In the kitchen, Mossmask had prepared breakfast and was eating it with Tigerstar and Duskpaw.
"So why were Ashfur and Redflower there?" Duskpaw asked.
Leopardnose assumed her younger daughters were out of the home already. She seated herself at the table and reached for a serving of squirrel and egg.
Mossmask was speaking, "Ashfur wants to take his grudge with Squirrelflight out on Firestar to make her suffer too. And Redflower has daddy issues."
Duskpaw nodded.
"I'm proud of you," Leopardnose said to her son.
Tigerstar added, "As am I. You proved yourself something to be reckoned with last night."
Duskpaw beamed. "I'm at your service, sir!"
Leopardnose could tell her father was pleased with the young tom. It made her feel a little better. But her heart still ached for her mate and mother.
"Do you think Splashwing will really keep his mouth shut?" Mossmask asked.
Leopardnose sighed, "I don't know, but I hope so."
Tigerstar rumbled, "I think he understands if he doesn't, he'll have to pay for it."
Leopardnose wasn't so sure. Splashwing had always been so kind and... innocent. Not really their type. He was very much his mother's son, from appearance to emotions.

Leopardnose and Tigerstar were the only ones in their home. She sat at her desk, laptop open and screen blank. She brought her hands to her forehead.
"You've been so stressed as of late," Tigerstar was sitting across the room, one leg up on his knee, and a book of crosswords and a pen in his hands, she knew it.
"Well yeah!" She turned in the chair, her hands reaching up in exasperation, "I'm grief-stricken!"
He frowned at her, "StarClan won't welcome us as I'm sure they did for them."
Leopardnose knew it was true.
Her head hung and she slowly turned back to the screen. She mumbled, "I still miss them." And then her head lifted and an ear flicked, "Besides, you at least made terms better between you and Goldenflower before she died; Rainwhisker last heard me remind him that I wanted his half-brother before I cared about him!"
Tigerstar was watching her. She wondered what he felt. They had always been close, but there were still times that he was a mystery.
Tears began to stain her cheeks, "I insinuated I'd go back to chasing Ashfur...."
"Now you can." Tigerstar commented.
"Oh please, he'll help me out, but only to get at Squirrelflight." Leopardnose was bitter. Hurt and bitter. She shook it away, "Not that I'd take another mate."
Tigerstar shrugged, "It's okay if you do."
She rolled her eyes, "Of course you'd say that."
He said nothing.

Father and daughter walked into the main center of camp. Here, fires burned in pits and and kill hung on racks, for those in need to take. She looked around. They no longer caught nervous glances, though the werecats of ThunderClan were not happy about Tigerstar's presence.
"Hello Brightheart," Leopardnose meowed with courtesy.
The scarred warrior gave a slight nod, "Leopardnose."
"Any news?" Leopardnose asked.
The other replied, "Not that I've heard."
"Well, have a good day," Leopardnose meowed and continued onward, her father following.
Leopardnose sighed. She was feeling the effects of her loved ones' deaths. It reminded her of when she was a young warrior—Mossmask was but an apprentice.... Her mentor, Frostfur, refused to continue with the clans to a new territory. She hadn't been the only one, but the primary cat she cared about. Back then, the humans were waging war with the clans, forcing them to move by encroaching on their territory.
She felt a heavy paw on her shoulder, looked over, and saw her father.
"I know I need to be strong." Leopardnose said.

She wished she could say things had been easier "in the good ol' days" but it wasn't so. She recalled the troubles of her childhood, of her distressed teenage self who wore black jackets and camo pants, and listened to only all the emo bands.