twenty

"Hyung, this doesn't feel like a good idea," Changkyun stated nervously as he and Jooheon stepped up onto the porch of Yungjae's house.

Changkyun had never seen that house as exclusively 'his'. It was Yungjae's. Yungjae bought it, Yungjae paid rent - Changkyun just lived there with him.

"Hey, be glad it's not Kihyun coming with you," the redhead chuckled. "If it were him, then this would all be a hundred times worse."

"At least his car's not in the drive," Changkyun muttered, bending down to find the key he always kept under the doormat in case of emergencies. He let out a small sigh of relief when his fingers met the cold metal, and he pulled the small object out from underneath the mat. "He's probably at work, so we have a few hours to spare."

"Perfect," Jooheon grinned, and Changkyun unlocked the door uneasily.

Despite the fact he hadn't been 'home' in only two days, it felt like two years. When he stepped through the front door, his breath caught in his throat and he didn't want to go in any further.

The lights were all switched off, and Changkyun thought he preferred it that way. He wasn't here to revel in the feeling of 'home', he was here to get his things and leave before Yungjae got back.

"Is this your phone?" Jooheon asked, and Changkyun hadn't even realised he had been standing in the doorway for so long that Jooheon had just walked straight in. He wondered how he managed to do it, then remembered that Jooheon hadn't been living there for two years.

"Yeah," the younger male answered, and Jooheon unplugged it from its charger. "The charger's mine, too."

Jooheon nodded and unplugged that too, following Changkyun when he walked cautiously to the bedroom.

"Is all you wear sweaters?" Jooheon asked as he began taking Changkyun's clothes off of the hangers, folding them and carefully placing them in the suitcase Changkyun had pulled out from somewhere.

"Kind of," Changkyun muttered nervously. "I had to...cover up a lot."

"Oh, right," Jooheon nodded. "Sorry, dude."

"I like wearing sweaters," Changkyun shrugged with a small smile as he began emptying the smaller drawers of his socks and underwear.

"They're all a size ten, Changkyun," Jooheon stated. "That's worrying."

"Look at me, I'm tiny," Changkyun laughed, and Jooheon himself cracked a smile. The atmosphere was tense and he could tell Changkyun was scared of his boyfriend coming back and doing something, but Jooheon had a feeling he wouldn't if he was there.

"Have you ever considered calling the police on this guy?" The redhead asked, and Changkyun shook his head.

"He's basically all I have left," the hazelnut-haired boy explained. "Well, he was. My parents kicked me out when I was sixteen and I had no other family to really turn to. I had to keep him happy otherwise he would kick me out and I would have nowhere else to go. I know that sounds like I'm some freeloader, but I thought he loved me."

"Do you want to go down to the station after this?" Jooheon asked, and Changkyun shook his head.

"I know that wouldn't really do anything," he answered, getting up to grab his things from the bathroom. Jooheon followed him, leaning against the doorframe. "He's always told me the greatest punishment he could ever face would be losing me. He says he loves me but he has a funny way of showing it...so I guess I'm already punishing him by leaving."

"Well, Kihyun are I are proud of you," the redhead replied, and Changkyun smiled. "Minhyuk and Hyunwoo too. Hoseok and Hyungwon weren't there, but I'm sure they'll be proud of you when they hear about it, too. Minhyuk texted me yesterday, actually. He said he was having a 'proud mother moment'. If that doesn't just scream pride, then I don't know what does."

"Minhyuk is kind of like my mother, except he's a hundred times nicer," Changkyun thought aloud. "He calls me the same nicknames my mother used to when I was younger, before she suddenly started hating me. I think I prefer Minhyuk."

Jooheon chuckled, watching as Changkyun zipped up his washbag containing all of his toiletries.

"Is that everything?" He asked, and Changkyun nodded. "Great, then we're done."

Changkyun breathed out a sigh of relief at having packed all of his things before Yungjae returned home. He would finally be free, and the anticipation had him bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"I'll take the suitcase," Jooheon offered, lifting it from the ground and towing it behind him as Changkyun picked up the rucksack with his phone, charger, toiletries and other smaller items in it.

Just as the two were about to leave the bedroom, the telltale sounds of keys jingling in the hallway made Changkyun turn pale in the face.

"You've got to be shitting me," Jooheon whispered, and Changkyun inhaled a large breath of air before stepping out into the living room, ready to face his boyfriend.

"Changkyun," Yungjae said, eyes wide as the image of his boyfriend filled his vision.

"I'm just here to get my stuff," the younger boy stated. "My friend came to help."

Jooheon waited a moment before also stepping out into the living room. Yungjae stared at the both of them, and for once he didn't look angry. He looked...sad?

"I'm leaving," Changkyun announced, louder than he'd wanted, but he figured it was about time he spoke up. "I can't be with someone who hurts me or the people I care about. You've done a lot for me, but I can't keep doing this, Yungjae. You're destroying me, and if you really loved me, you would stop all this and let me go."

Yungjae nodded his understanding, and Changkyun reached into his pocket for the key he had always kept under the doormat. He stepped forwards and held out his hand, waiting for Yungjae to do the same so he could hand him the key.

Regrettably, he did so, and Changkyun dropped the small piece of metal into his boyfriend's hand.

"I'm sorry," Yungjae apologised for what had to be the first time since Changkyun had met him, and the younger boy felt the tears filling his eyes.

"I am too," he stood his ground, however, and walked right past his - now - ex-boyfriend. He wouldn't give him the satisfaction of seeing him cry one last time. "Goodbye, Yungjae."

Jooheon followed, refusing to look at Yungjae as Changkyun pulled open the front door. The two of them left without looking back, and Jooheon wrapped an arm around Changkyun's shoulders once they turned the corner out of Yungjae's street.

"We're celebrating tonight," the redhead stated. (He had a habit of doing that). "Congratulations on being single, Changkyun."

~*~

right so now kyunnie is single we can all start rooting for changki