Chapter 5: It Means That I'll Protect You

"Mr. Akagi..."

It appeared Yū was about to head out. She was holding a little bag, standing at the door.

She had just turned around, and widened her eyes when she spotted him. Surely his hair and clothes were all sweaty, his cheeks and fringe tense, his eyes bloodshot, his shoulders puffing, and he appeared to be a step away from death.

The emotional brake Koremitsu had completely broke by the time he arrived, and he grabbed Yū by her slender shoulders, pressing her onto the door.

"Didn't I tell you not to go out! Why—why don't you just understand!?"

"Koremitsu, calm down!"

Hikaru treated to stop Koremitsu, but the latter's penting emotions broke through his chest, ripped his throat apart, and went amok. Yū's slender shoulders were practically about to be crushed.

"If you're to go out alone—if-if-if something's going to happen to you, what will I do? Do you understand your situation? Someone already sent me a text saying that you'll be executed 'by the guillotine'! I can't protect you if you're still so careless! I—I won't have a purpose coming to where you are, right!?"

He just repeated his words over and over again, not allowing any time for others to talk, and he fully expressed his shattered feelings.

He was unable to protect either Yū or Honoka, and his chest was practically ripped apart as he ran towards her. Yet Yū wanted to head out as if nothing had happened—

"I gave up on Shikibu just to be with you, Yū!"

"Calm down! Koremitsu! Yū's terrified by you!"

Hikaru raised his voice, and Koremitsu finally composed himself.

The little white face looked eerily pale, the fleeting eyes showing fear. The shoulders grabbed by his hands were shivering.

(W-what did I just do...?)

"...!"

He relaxed his fingertips, suffocated by his pathetic self, slammed his head above Yū's shoulder and onto the door, keeping it lowered.

"Mr...Akagi."

Yū spoke tentatively.

"Let's go inside and talk...I won't be...going anywhere..."

Koremitsu was unable to lift his head, and Yū whispered, "I'm fine...I just got a little cut...on the fingertip...from a knife..." her right index finger was wrapped in a band-aid, "There was...a little blade between the door gap...it was dangerous..." she spoke as if nothing happened.

"Hey...I-I'm still fine. I'm here, right?"

"......"

"It's just a little cut on the finger. Nothing happened, okay?"

"..."

The cold fingertips touched Koremitsu's face. Yū got on her knees in front of Koremitsu as she looked up, looking very worried.

"But why are you crying, Mr. Akagi...?"

"..."

Salty water trickled down the stiffened face; the icy bullets fell upon the clenched fists placed on the knees.

With her slender fingers, Yū again wiped Koremitsu's tears away.

Right in front of the blurred vision was the fleeting, worried face looking up at him. Hikaru too watched Koremitsu with a tragic expression from there.

"Mr. Akagi...what are you worried about right now? You seem...to have mentioned, about Miss Shikibu just now..."

—I gave up on Shikibu just to be with you, Yū!