Chapter 3: Let's Hang the Impure Woman

"The Poppy flower is the name of the flower held by the Conqueror's beloved consort Yu."

Hikaru explained with a gloomy look on the night they returned from the hospital.

"The hero Xiang Yu, active during the late Qin Dynasty, lost to another hero Liu Bang. Consort Yu followed him until the very end, and killed herself—In the Chinese lessons, some said that Xiang Yu, pursued at the very end, was singing, "Ah, Yu, my Yu. What will your fate be?" You have heard of this story before, no? It was said that bloody red flowers bloomed from the consort Yu's grave, and that was how the name 'Yu flower', or 'Poppy' came about. The wavy petals would flap with a mere breeze, and while it may look pitiful, it does seem to allure you in a bewitching manner. It is that kind of flower with an unstable charm."

The name of the flower Koremitsu received in the message was the Poppy.

Surely, the fact that there was a flower with the same name in Yū's room would be linked to this.

"I don't understand. Maybe it's just a coincidence."

Hikaru frowned hard, and the tense atmosphere pervaded, his face looking conflicted.

"But the Poppy flower is not one that will bloom at this time. It probably was displayed in flower shops over a month back or so. It is not a flower that can be obtained so easily in this season..."

Hikaru himself was a little curious that she never did put such a rare flower in a vase, merely dumping it on the sofa.

Yū mentioned that it was a flower from a visitor, but that explanation was fallible.

She merely gave a glance at the washroom, and already, she wished for Koremitsu to quickly return.

"The floral language of the Poppy is solace, delusion—that is what it means. Another name for Poppy is Papaveraceae. Perhaps it had such a floral language for it was it is a breed of Poppy that can be extracted for drugs."

Drugs—Koremitsu's heart jolted upon those words.

"The Papaver Poppy itself is non-toxic, and it is not a criminal act to grow them at home. It does have a similar appearance however."

Hikaru's face again sobered as he mentioned this.

"Yū was acting strange."

"Yeah...she does not seem happy to meet you today. She even looked a little troubled."

One would hope that she merely had trivial matters to attend to...

After worrying about it, he sent a message,

"Sorry for visiting you so suddenly."

Yū's reply came in the next morning.

" I, too, apologize for what happened"

It was hard to understand through words alone what Yū was 'apologizing' for. There were so many issues Yū had yet to talk about, so he could only deduce from what he received.

Koremitsu ate his breakfast while listless, and saw Shioriko with that face devoid of energy.

"Big brother Koremitsu...I'm going to school along with you."

She pleaded with a gloomy voice.

"Okay."

Koremitsu answered glumly. It was the first time he departed from home early with her due to her school arrival time, but she remained silent for quite a while.

"Are you still angry about Lapis?'

"No..."

"Then, is it about Shikibu and the rest at our house before this?"