This is difficult to answer because everyone writes differently. For me, all my names have meanings and have to sound right - if you've read my printed version of Ivy Gates you might not know this but each of the characters surnames mean something in another language.

Starting with a flashback is fine, I do that sometimes. I personally like short prologues that can set a scene without too much story as well. Once I get an idea, I don't tend to think, I just type. As long as you have a rough idea of how you want the story to span out, you should be fine!

The other stuff... I don't know how to explain, I just have an idea of what I want to happen in the plot further down the line, and add in bits and pieces here and there. I change my mind a lot when writing, too though.

🚨 SPOILER ALERT FOR THE CURE 🚨
Did you know that the original reason that Yoongi kissed Bee in The Cure was because I was going to kill her off? Yoongi was going to infect her and she was going to die. I just decided not to go through with it hahaha

 I just decided not to go through with it hahaha

They pop up randomly. A song inspired me to start writing The Reckoning. A rusty gate inspired Ivy Gates. I had a weird dream that inspired The Cure.

I get inspiration from all kinda of things. Sometimes, I'll be writing one thing, and it inspires me to write something else.

I am the same you have no idea how many drafts I have lol

I have to be in the mood and have a flow to write, because if I get blocks, I tend to give up and go back to it at a later date. It's normal.

Maybe you could try writing short stories to start, which is what I did.