®

Only two months ago they passed away, Chris and Dylan. They made it out of Castle Rock, both took college courses with me. It was hard for Chris but Dylan helped him through it all. They both went to college on partial scholarships, paying the rest by working it off with weird jobs when they didn't have classes. Chris eventually became a lawyer while Dylan was working to become a teacher.

Two months ago a fight broke out in a fast food restaurant. Dylan and Chris put themselves in between, hoping to stop it. One of the men had a knife, stabbing Chris in the throat. He died almost instantly. Dylan went to scream, only to be stabbed in the abdomen. He fell to the floor, dying slowly. People stood in fear, deteriorating his chance of survival. By the time someone had called an ambulance, Dylan was already at Death's door.

 Gordie stares at his screen before his eyes move to the photo to the right his desk. He gazes at one of the many photos he stole from Dylan. With a sigh, he types once more.

I know I'll miss them both forever. I never made best friends like them later on in life, both becoming a part of my families like my brothers. I never made friends like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anybody?

 Gordie presses enter once more, finished with his novel. The sound of his children's happiness rings in his ears, pulling him away from the screen. Looking out his window, he sees his two sons wrestling in their front yard. A smile forms on his face, only to disappear slowly, thinking of his two late friends.

 After high school, the three went their own ways. Well, Dylan and Chris went on their own path, eloping. The only reason Gordie knew of their unlicensed marriage was from Dylan calling with a very shaky voice. Although the three talked, it was only on occasion. All Gordie wonders now is how long it had been going on, and how much shit did they go through to hide it.