•S I X T Y - E I G H T•

The horrible idea grew in her brain.

Once certain both girls had left, Marguerite moved to her vanity and splayed out the paper.

Stupid, last resort, absurd—but unavoidable.

With a wince, she dipped her quill into a fresh tub of ink.

To Her Grace, the Dowager Queen Clémentine of Totresia,

I have fulfilled all requirements you specified. My pupils are here, your sons court two of them, and I have maintained my secret identity.

I do not wish to attend the Masquerade. So I beseech you—give me what you promised, and I will be on my way. The Duke of Serese is still alive, so I cannot receive his title; but is there any alternative to revive my former one? Or create something? You may need your son's signature on it, and I understand if it takes some time, but I beg you. If you want me gone, I will be.

—M.

Images raced through her mind. Masks, excessive and elegant fripperies, drinks spilling, squeals of delight, thundering music. Then the pouring rain, the flashes of lightning, the screams, the horses neighing in the night, the castle farther and farther in the distance.

Her waterline crowded with tears as she proofread her letter. It was her only course to save Antoine, and fix everything, though it put her at risk.

She folded the parchment and fanned herself with it, breathing in and out, her gut clenched in anxiety.

When Johanna popped in later with her fourth cup of coffee of the day, she gave her the note.

"Deliver it to her."

Johanna's eyes bulged as she examined the note scribbled in haste on the parchment. "Miss? What is this?"

"You will find out soon enough. Go."

Johanna left, and Marguerite plunged her face into her pillow.

***

An hour or so later, Johanna returned. "It is done."

Marguerite leaned against her bed-frame. "It is?"

Johanna rushed to her side. "What did you do? Please, mistress, let me help you."

Marguerite bit her lip. "I did the only thing within my power to save Antoine, to save the kingdom. It is foolish, and I will regret it, but it is for the best."

Johanna's lashes fluttered as she slouched.

"It is my only alternative, and I am aware of the consequences. The Dowager has no clue, but I know what her plans are for me, and this will enable them. But this is how to stick up for Antoine before he loses what is rightfully his."