Prologue

He staggered, tired, soaked and confused, on the unknown beach. He didn't even know where he was going. He just knew that he was cold, so cold.

He walked for a while, slowly, dragging his bare, aching feet on the sand, until he started seeing a village from afar. So he straightened up his back, gained back a bit of strenght and quickened his pace, heartened.

He arrived at the village entrance, but he didn't have the time to go in because some big, buff men appeared from who knows where and immobilized him.

- Who are you? Where do you come from? And what do you want? - they asked him harshly, while they tied his arms behind his back. He didn't answer, scared and confused.

They pushed him along the street, and people in their houses appeared from the windows to watch the scene. The houses were gracious, bigger and sturdier than his. He wondered what had happened to his small house.

A guy around his age with blonde hair and piercing green eyes arrived and stopped them.

- So? - he said, looking at him up and down.

- He doesn't want to talk!

- Maybe he doesn't understand our language - speculated a man. The boy arched a brow.

- He doesn't look like a threat. He's in bad conditions. He must be shocked; let him go - he ordered, and the men obeyed. In exchange, he received a grateful look.

- I understand your language. My name's Mira - said Mira with a low voice, after rubbing his arms. He started trembling again, now just because he was cold and not because of fear. - I'm not here to cause problems.

The blonde stranger made a gesture with his head to make him continue.

- A storm crashed on my island and destroyed everything - explained Mira, feeling his head hurt just at the thought. - I don't remember anything else. I woke up on the beach, and believe me, I really want to go back home.

The boy nodded.

- It's too late, at the moment, to take you back home - he informed him, adding to himself: if a home still exists. - We'll think about it tomorrow. You must be tired, and you're trembling. Come with me. You can spend the night at my place.

Then he thanked and dismissed the men and started walking.

- My name's Leif - he introduced himself, turning to him to look at him with his piercing green eyes. - I'm sorry for the bad welcome. It's unusual to have strangers around here.

- It's nothing - muttered Mira.

- I hope they didn't treat you too badly and that the rest of your time here is pleasurable - Leif continued. He seemed kind, even though his gaze made people feel uneasy.

Leif's house was very big, bigger than the others. His family was composed of his parents and his elder sister. She wasn't home, though, Leif told him.

- Mom, dad, this is Mira. Yesterday's storm made him shipwreck on our island.

Leif's parents had the same piercing green eyes as their son and the same blonde hair. They shook his hand with politeness, without particular warmth. Mira felt a bit of nostalgia for his family find its way in his heart.

Leif gave him dry clothes, before leaving him alone to let him dry himself and change clothes.

Mira hurried up to go back to him when he was ready. The boy brought him to the dining room. On the table, made of rock, Leif's mother was putting some plates full of cooked and uncooked fish.

- Tomorrow morning we'll take you back home with the dragons - began Leif to break the ice, once they were sat around the table. Mira gave him a confused look.