Episode 2: Funeral For Jose Mendez

Estrella stared at the casket. It was a dull oblong box made out of wood. It had been lowered into its final resting place and with it there was a very somber presence. The father of the town was finishing the eulogy and sweating in the red sun much like the rest of her family and the few people who showed up.

The red sun was high in the sky baking the ground into a brittle clay causing jagged scars to surface here and there. It didn't do anything for Estrella's souring mood. Estrella's mother bawled and wailed very much playing the grieving widow. Beside mother was Soleste the olddest and most like mother both inside and out with the exception of Soleste's tin glasses that perched delicately on her head. She too cried and cried except Estrella knew she meant it. On the other side of Estrella was her youngest sister Luna. She was only fourteen and her wild hair stuck out of her braid at every angle. it's enemy was the sun and humidity. She was crying silenetly holding Estrella's sweating hand. The wearing of heavy black skirts and a lace black veil did nothing to ease the heat or Estrella's anger.

The Father droned on about her papi Jose Mendez. Estrella tried to concentrate on his words but she was still frantically remembering the last twelve hours or so. She hadn't slept since her Papi's murder. She had left him as he turned cold to run to her nearest neighbor's house. She ran like a an evil desert spirit out for revenge. it was a very big surprise to Senor Diaz when he had seen her wild golden hair plastered across her face and the ragged breathing. She had desperately begged him for a horse so she could ride to Sheriff Rojas' house. He had asked her to stay at the house while he ran to get the sheriff but Estrella with her anger and adrenaline said no and road off on his horse with little explanation. Yep, that was all it took for the town to be a blaze with her scandal as she was only clad in a flimsy nightgown riding bareback across the dirt roads. It was enough to ruin her reputation. permenately mare her as an outsider. However Estrella didn't care and simply acted without caring anymore. Estrella could still taste the dirt of her maddening ride and feel the anger and adrenaline bubbling over her. That had been her morning.

Now she was at her papi's funeral baking in the hot southern sun listening to her mother sqawking and carrying on.Finally Father Manuel got done with the eulogy and the undertakers went to work burying him in his new bed. Estrella ushered her family into the abandoned streets of town and up the old wooden steps of Sheriff Rojas' office. He was a old man in his early sixties but was a very good lawmen and had a kind face that ozzed experience. The sheriff's office smelled like licorice and smoked cigars. There was a single old desk and an anciect metal filing cabinet.

"Senora, senoritas please come in," said the old sheriff, "I won't keep you long I just want to give you this," Rojas said producing an aged manilla envelop that looked almost as old as himself.

"What is it?" asked Estrella starring at the envelope with interest.

"This is your father's last will and testament," replied Rojas.

Mother snatched the envolpe quickly and then was out the door. Grieving widow facade well forgotten. Estrella sighed wearily at her mother's two-headedness.

"Thankyou Senor Rojas," said Estrella she was about to go when Rojas stopped her.

"Your father was a great man. He lived honestly and wanted to have a good life," Rojas said.

"He left us with a ranch out in the middle of nowhere," replied Soleste with much disdain. She had been old enough to remember what life was like up in the north. She shared the attitude with mother about what life should have been like.

"I'd watch what you say Senorita he was your father after all and I speak the truth he was a great man."

"Please. A great man wouldn't have left his job to pursue some silly fantasy,"retorted Soleste before she stormed out of the office in a huff identical to mother's.

"Forgive her Senor she doesn't appreciate this life and Papi like we do," said Luna with a sad smile. For being so young she could be so wise. Not what a fourteen year old girl should be like. Luna was practically raised in the red sands of the desert. She was well rooted to the south country like a tricky cactus thriving even when there was death around the corner. Where Estrella was a stone rose Luna was the cactus. Thriving and resilient.

"You don't need to apologize on her behalf. I know that what she says is not true," replied Rojas with a simple smile though it did nothing to mask his sadness.