Counting Straws

The straw that pushed the domino? Lol. Things escalate and everyone snaps a little bit. Even Rey is feeling the pressure.

When they reached the lift, Ichara clenched her fists and kept on walking. She was absolutely livid with Kylo both for throwing her and forcing her into this situation. He stepped back out of the lift, confused.

"Where are you going?"

"Anywhere you're not!" she called out before quickly dipping down one of the winding hallways, halfway disappointed that he didn't follow after her. Perhaps he was just as fed up with her as she was him. She wandered aimlessly around the ship before finally retiring to her quarters. Sleep was elusive, trapped between nightmares fueled by fears lurking in her subconscious. Force visions weren't something she'd ascribed much faith in, but the vividness of the experience took them a step closer to reality than dream.

In one she gave in to Hux, and Kylo killed him when he pulled it from his mind, with her pinned- helpless to stop him. In another she never got her revenge, and years later she was still serving at Kylo's side, burned out and broken, Hux long dead. In yet another her cousin betrayed her to the Resistance, and the scavenger executed her in one bright blue arc. The last nightmare ended with her impaled on the end of the crackling red saber, Hux screaming out her name from far in the distance.

She jumped when she came to, falling to the floor with a graceless thud, tangled in sweaty sheets. She laid on the cold floor in defeat for a moment before groggily freeing herself and checking the time- it was only 0200. That made three hours of what could barely be called 'rest'. Forfeit seemed to be the only option, and she dragged her feet to the refresher, sliding down the shower wall to let the water fall over her. Before stepping out, she flicked the water to cold, jolting her awake. She spent the wee hours curled up with a cup of bitter coffee over her ancient book, mostly skimming through the fog of exhaustion.

Her mind drifted, wondering how long it would be till the caf opened. Usually food was brought to her, but the thought of terrorizing people with her presence while getting breakfast made her smile. Stars, I'm even starting to think like Kylo Ren.

Ichara's plan was to ignore him until returning from the gala, but sure enough she ended up in front of the training room doors at noon. At least I can make him miserable before I have to go suffer. She sighed and entered begrudgingly, surprised to see a stormtrooper in the room with him.

"I knew you'd come."

"What is he doing here?"

"You're going somewhere with a lot of very powerful and very dishonest people. I need to make sure your abilities with the force are strong enough to tell fact from fiction."

"If you think I'm that inept why don't you just go yourself?"

"What, is this too difficult for you?"

Her and Hux had the same weakness- ego. Neither could turn down a challenge to their abilities.

"What is it you want me to do."

"I've told him a story, and he's going to retell it you, but part of it is a lie. Find it." He crossed his arms, chewing his lip as he watched her.

She interrupted before the trooper could finish the first sentence. "None of it's a lie, he's recounting it exactly as you told him. That is the catch you wanted me to find. This is idiotic. " She closed her eyes and clawed out her hand, determined to dispel any thoughts of weakness. The man fell to his knees as she aggressively split into his mind.