Departure

[]

I saved the seat next to me as usual while I waited for Jaehyun's arrival. "Hey, Younghoon." "Yeah?" "You still hang around that wingless guy?" "What are you trying to say here?" "Why bother? He's an odd ball. He deserves to be outcasted." I heard commotion going on not too far from our classroom. I poked my head out of the room and saw students in a circle. I walked over then gasped quietly. They were bullying Jaehyun again.

"Come on, come get your precious books." I flew up then snatched them from his hands. "Aw, you ruined the fun, Hoon." I covered Jaehyun with my wings then led him through the crowd and into the classroom. "Jae-" "I'm fine." He gently pushed my wings away then sat at his seat. "Are you really fine?" He nodded as he opened his books. "They're a bunch of jerks." "That you're friends with." I shrunk back as he made a point. "I'm no better than them huh?" "No, you're fine. You're sticking up for me. Not that I asked for it."

The teacher walked in and started the lesson. I often looked at Jaehyun, hoping he'd notice. "What?" "Let's eat lunch together." "Same place?" "Yeah." "Mr. Kim." "Yes, professor?" "Your seat." I reluctantly left my spot and switched with another student. I looked back at him then sighed. Even in school we're separated.

ㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣ

I entered the room then set up the tables. It was the least I could do for Jaehyun. The door opened and revealed Jaehyun. He snapped his fingers and the usual feeling went through my body. "I'll never get used to that." He laughed then sat down. "Why do you think professors are separating us too?" "No idea." A familiar light appeared and circled around us. "Feng." "Hi, Younghoon." "Got anything on Jae's condition?" She shook her head then explained that a case like Jaehyun hadn't occurred in millions of years. Any information would have been long since lost.

"What did she say?" "She can't help. Any information wouldn't exist now." His face fell as he ate. "I'm sorry. We'll keep looking." "Thank you, Feng." She soon disappeared leaving us alone. "I'm sure there's an explanation." "Let's not talk about it." I nodded then began to eat. The silence wasn't the usual comfortable silence. I got up from my seat then hugged him from behind and covered us with my wings. "I'm sorry." "What for?" "For not being able to protect you like I should." "Just being my friend is enough." I hugged him tighter. "Is something on your mind, Hoon?" "Just you." "When am I not on your mind?" "Don't know. Am I always on your mind?" "No." I frowned.

"You do cross my mind frequently." "I'll take it." He soon started to touch my wings. "Have you met your destined partner yet?" "No, and I don't want to." "Why?" "I want to be your destined partner in case your wings never sprout." "Has anyone ever not been with their destined partner?" "Don't know." "And wouldn't you want to get married and have kids? Watch them grow up and find their own destined partners?" I bit my lip as he continued to eat. "I guess...but you make it seem like there haven't been sane sex destined partners." "They're rare. Usually they're exiled if discovered." "Where did you hear that?" "Read about it. Restricted section." "Bad boy eh?" "Hush."

ㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣ

I watched from a distance as Jaehyun left school grounds. "Younghoon." "Oh, uh, yes?" "I said, we're changing your schedule. Same classes, just not with Lee Jaehyun." "What? You can't!" "We can." He slid me my new schedule. "Why are you doing this? We haven't done anything wrong." "He's different than us. We can't have him corrupting you." "That's not even rational! He hasn't done anything problematic!" "Kim Younghoon, sit down." I sat. "This is final. Take your schedule and don't interact with Lee Jaehyun. Not on school grounds nor outside school grounds." I stormed out of his office then blinked back tears. They were being unreasonable. Jaehyun hadn't done anything to deserve this kind of treatment.

ㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣ

I sat by the water and watched the lily pads slowly move around. "Younghoon." I looked up then saw Jaehyun sit next to me. He created a flower then stuck it in my hair. "They're not being fair." "Go on." "They took me out of classes with you! And they said you're corrupt! I don't see what they're seeing. You're a good guy, you're honest, generous, kind, gentle, caring, loving-" "I get it." "Why can't they see that?" I leaned against him then felt him stroking my hair. "I don't know. What I do know is that they won't rest until we have no way of contacting each other." I didn't like the sound of that. "What can we do?" "Nothing. We're powerless against them." "Your spells-" "Would only make me look worse."

We sat in silence as the water ran. "Sing for me, Hoon?" I cleared my throat then did a few warm up exercises. I took a deep breath then started to sing his favorite song Nightingale.* He rested his head atop my own. "You have such a beautiful voice..." I stopped singing. "Sing with me." "I couldn't..." "Please? I want to hear you too..." "Only for you." I started from where I stopped then heard him join in. I noticed animals had surrounded us from afar as we came close to the end of the song. We finished singing then noticed the animals had come closer to us. "Where did they come from?" I picked one up then petted it. Another hopped onto my lap and soon we were surrounded by tiny creatures with a few larger ones sitting by our sides. It was a cute scene.

a/n: hihi! a little note for you all
Nightingale - a made up song that goes to the tune of Miracle by Got7!