Ch. 9: The Best Worst Date

"So... your friend...what's his name?" Sutton said, looking down at the snow far, far below.

"Roger."

"And Roger, he's a real joker?" Sutton asked, a little bit nervous now.

Wyatt paused. "Actually of the two of us, I'd say he's the rule follower. I had to practically beg him to keep the mountain open." Suddenly the snowflakes seemed less like gently falling cotton balls and more like tiny daggers of ice stinging her cheeks and trying to worm down into her jacket.

"He saw us though, when we got on the lift?" Sutton hadn't seen a person anywhere, but she didn't want to say that out loud..

Wyatt opened his mouth, shut it, then opened it again. He turned again to peer back through the dark.

"I'm sure he did.... But, you don't by chance have your phone on you?" he said, turning back to Sutton.

"No... I left it on my bed. You?"

"I never carry it while snowboarding, broke it once doing a trick."

There was a pause, and Sutton shivered in her coat. All of a sudden Wyatt started to laugh. Sutton turned to him in surprise.

"What? What are you laughing at?" But even as she said it, even in the situation, his laughter was infectious, and she felt a smile creep onto her lips.

"It's just, I really wanted to impress you. I had this great date planned."

Sutton smiled. "Oh really? Now you have to tell me."

Wyatt looked at her sideways, and her heart jumped in her throat at his adorable, lopsided smile. "Well I was going to take you down the backside of the mountain to to my friends cabin, and I had dinner all ready."

"Oh I see, so you were going to kidnap me to a cabin in the middle of the woods. Really romantic."

Wyatt laughed. "And I had an awesome dinner planned." He held up a hand, "Five entire courses."

"And when you say courses, do you mean appetizers?"

"Well of course." Wyatt shook his head, laughing, and now Sutton joined in with him. "But instead we're stranded on a ski lift. And it's totally my fault."

"Well, if it helps, I'm glad I'm stuck here with you."

Wyatt raised his eyebrows like he didn't quite believe her.

"No, I'm serious," Sutton said. "I had this whole plan, of spending a 'Man Free Christmas'" She paused, and then turned to look at Wyatt, serious now. "But as it turns out, I'm glad I didn't. This was exactly what I needed."

"So you figured out an ending for your book?"

She shrugged her shoulders, a hidden smile on her face. "Yah I did. But I like the ending I found for myself more." She blushed and looked down at her toes, but when she looked up his blue eyes were warm and closer to her than they'd ever been.

"Besides, I've had worse dates," It felt like some force was drawing them slowly closer on the lift.

 "Really?"He raised his eyebrows in disbelief.

Sutton fought to hide a grin. "Yah, the other day this total jerk ran into my while I was skiing. Then he bought me this awful dinner of only appetizers."

Wyatt laughed so hard the whole lift shook. "Wow, that guy sounds like a total loser. I hope you didn't go out with him." He dropped his voice into a whisper. "Besides, he's prolly a snowboarder.  Run while you still can."

"Don't worry.  He turned out to be a nice guy. I actually kinda like him."

"Oh yah?"

Sutton's heart thudded in her chest as his eyes flicked from her eyes to her lips and back. He'd moved closer, their breath mingled, and his arm was draped over the back of the lift, so that if she leaned back at all, it would be around her. His eyes burning into hers and her heart made an uneven rhythm.

"Yah," Sutton whispered, and then Wyatt leaned forward, his lips meeting hers.

It wasn't like the kisses she'd written about in her novels.

It was better.

His strong fingers reached up to either side of her face, holding her face as his lips moved against hers. The snow fell around them, only the trees watching as he kissed her. And Sutton didn't feel cold anymore. She felt warm all the way to her toes. It wasn't the Christmas she'd planned; it was a million times better.

"WYATT!? HEY WYATT!? THAT YOU?"

Sutton and Wyatt jumped apart.

On the ground, grinning up at them, was a skier who Sutton could only assume was Roger.

"Roger, thank God! Can you start the lift, we're stranded," Wyatt called down.

"Sure thing, I'm just sweeping the mountain." But he didn't leave. Instead his smile grew even wider. "That the girl you keep talking about?" 

"Stop yabbering and go start the lift already!" Wyatt yelled back. 

Roger laughed and then skiied straight below them, sailing down the mountain.

Wyatt's cheeks were flushed when he turned to Sutton, his smile full of chagrin.

"Did you tell him about me?" Sutton asked.

"No. Maybe. Okay, yes. I had to tell them about the beautiful girl who writes love stories and beat me down the mountain."

Sutton grinned. "How long till he starts the lift?"

"Maybe another 10 minutes...That okay?"

"Well it depends. Can you think of anything we can do until then?"

Wyatt grinned, and then leaned forward, taking her chin in his fingers, and bringing her lips to his.

"I've got a few ideas." 

THE END

(Why are there more chapters after this, you ask? Well, if you remember my earlier comments, YOU, the reader, get to choose who Sutton will end up with! So, feel free to keep reading, and see what would have happened if she had chosen to go see Ma...

(Why are there more chapters after this, you ask? Well, if you remember my earlier comments, YOU, the reader, get to choose who Sutton will end up with! So, feel free to keep reading, and see what would have happened if she had chosen to go see Marius at midnight.

If you enjoyed the story, please don't forget to vote, comment and share with friends <3)