Chapter Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

I went up to my room and turned the knob when my eyes caught sight of my parent's room door.

I stared at it as if it's calling me.

I haven't really gone beyond that door. Of course, aunt Mary have but mostly for cleaning but I never went in that room.

I'm just afraid that all the emotions would come back like a bad dream that I can't get rid of. I don't want to be reminded of how beautiful life was before they died. The four of us, together.

I looked up to the ceiling, staring at the white paint as if it had showed me instructions to follow what I really want.

A deep sigh escaped my breath and found myself letting go of my door knob and moving towards the door that I have always avoided.

My body stopped infront of it, my heart beating fast, my hand slowly touching the knob.

My hand turned and in just a second, the door opened.

It was dark.

Obviously.

But even so, I could already see their faces, framed on the wall. Their smiles radiating from ear to ear and just an epitome of how happy they were. I turned on the light and immediately, I saw unopened boxes on the floor.

I opened a box with a cutter that I had gotten downstairs and saw a bunch of clothes. The rest were also a bunch of clothes, picture frames, and  albums that all reminded me of my parents.

I smiled as I took out mom's favorite jacket of dad which she used to wear all the time when dad was away because it reminded her of him. I put it on me and hugged myself, thinking it was both mom and dad. And by now, I hadn't realized that tears had  fallen down my cheeks as memories of the accident ran through my mind.

It took me a minute until my eyes drifted off to the boxes on the bed. There were two of them. The smaller box had 'Love' written on it, while the slightly bigger one had 'Art' written on it.

Intrigued by the love box, I opened it first and in it were neatly folded papers with a calligraphy work of mom's name.

I picked up the one on top, opened it, and started reading it.

October 10th 1997

My Love,

I had just arrived in the Philippines.
There's nothing much in this country except for the beauty that enthralls in it.
I went to the beach yesterday and it reminded me of how you looked that day on the beach of Wormbrooke as you buried your feet in the sand, your hair dancing with the wind.
That was the first time I saw you and I can already tell that fate had been good to me.

I hope to see you soon!

I love you.

The letter had a postcard attached to it of a beautiful beach.

I picked up another one as I finished reading the first letter and it was tied in a little yellow ribbon. I opened it and started reading the letter with hand-painted flowers that framed it.

November 21st 1998

My Love,

I am currently here in Japan. I'm meeting with Brad and he had just shown me his new sketch of this animation he had in mind. One of them is named Violet. Isn't that a beautiful name for a baby?