However, what Philip failed to tell these gullible adults was his intention to use the entire event as a campaign strategy; he would bond well with the parents, convincing them to vote for him in the upcoming elections. It would be the best time of his life, for the coming year would mark the beginning of the accomplishments of his life goals. It would be the best publicity for him. It would bring investors and sympathy for his campaign. It would paint him in a good light and draw attention to him, and what other way was there to do it than to use a bunch of sick kids? It was all for him.

Eden felt despicable. She tried to convince herself that at least Philip was helping the kids get what they wanted the most for Christmas, but she couldn't get past the nagging feeling in her guts that she was going about it the wrong way.

The meeting went well for Philip, and as usual, he gained the approval of the board; he could do whatever he wanted, he had their support.

Grinning from ear to ear, she stood by his side as he shook hands with the men and women of the board. Pleasantries were exchanged, and soon enough, the room was emptied out.

Philip turned to her, the smile on his face maintaining its position. “That went really well?” It was a question. She could tell by the rise of his brow that he meant for her to compliment him on his skills of winning an entire room over.

Stepping forward and placing a hand on his arm, she tried to reason with him. “Can we not involve the press? Some of these kids are really sick, Phil, and their parents-”

“A bunch of people with cameras is not going to hurt, baby.” He touched her cheek. “Think of it as killing two birds with a single stone; the kids get to have the time of their lives, and I get to have the support of hundreds of thousands of people.”

Eden felt a frown settle on her face, one she had been fighting to keep hidden for several hours.

“What? You don't like the idea? You know, considering the fact that this is going to cost my campaign team hundreds of thousands of dollars, I deserve to come out of all of this a winner as well.”

For a second, Eden opened her mouth to argue, but quickly closed it again. There was no arguing with Phil, he was after all the politician, skilled in the art of winning people over.

Most likely seeing the look on her face, he took a step forward and sighed. Placing both his hands against the side of her face, grey eyes stared back at her.

“Come on babe, you know I'm especially doing this for you. I know how much this means to you, and I want you to have it and to be happy. Okay?” Before she could respond, he leaned down and kissed her. It was a simple brushing of lips against lips, an act done more out of urgency and a desire to win an argument, than passion, or love.

“Okay.” She pulled away, forcing a smile to her lips.

“Good.” He grabbed his suitcase from where it had been sitting by the foot of the chair he only a few minutes ago, vacated. “I set up a dinner date with my parents tomorrow.” he leaned down once more, this time, his lips brushing her forehead. “They're coming into town tonight, and they're dying to meet you.”

“It is a little short notice, don't you think?” Her smile faded, a chilly feeling of dread settling over her. She hadn't met his parents physically, but she had spoken to them over the phone and could tell she didn't like them.

“It's an entire twenty-four hours to get ready. Here,” he pulled out his wallet from his pocket and pulled out his credit card before handing it over to her, “buy the best dress in the store, do something with your hair, and I'll pick you up with a limo. Seven o'clock tomorrow?” He quirked a brow in question.

Sighing softly, Eden nodded because she thought she didn't have a choice. She was going to meet his parents sooner or later right? She might as well get the torture over with.

“Great.”

She fought the urge to groan as he turned from her and began heading for the door.

“Mike, right?”

Eden swung around then, stunned. What was Mike doing here?! And why did he seem especially handsome today, even if he was clad in the ugly grey overall the hospital provided for janitors?

She blushed slightly at her silly thought, feeling somewhat subconscious. She hadn't seen him since she was locked in his arms yesterday. It was a memory she couldn't get rid of, no matter how hard she tried. She remembered the rapid pounding of his heart against her fingers that were pressed to his chest. She remembered the feeling of his arms around her waist. She remembered the warmth of his breath grazing her lips, creating odd reactions in her stomach.

“Yes. Phil?”

“Philip. I see you're the janitor?” Philip ran his gaze over Mike.

“Yup. Now if you don't mind, I'm required to clean out this room.”

“Of course, that’s what you’re here for; picking up trash, right?” He laughed. “I better get to my real job.”

“Do you mean the one where you peddle lies and have your head so high up the asses of rich men, we could only tell it was you by your fancy Rolex?”

Eden felt the blood drain from her face as she watched the exchange. She couldn't see Philip's face, but she saw Mike's clear as day; his jaw was set, and his eyes were aimed at Philip like a gun.

Mike suddenly chuckled. “I'm kidding.” He smiled, taking hold of his cart. “Now, if you would excuse me, I would like to get back to picking up your trash.”

Philip didn't turn around, not even to say goodbye to Eden. His ego obviously bruised, he stormed out of the conference room.

Eden turned sharply to Mike who was on the far end of the room, a broom in hand.

“Mind telling me what that was about?”

He shrugged. “I think he's an ass, and you shouldn't marry him.” He pushed a chair aside.

“I'm sorry, what?!” she gasped, stunned.

“It's just my opinion, doc, nothing personal.”

Dumbfounded, she struggled for words to speak. “Well, that's a mighty big opinion you've got there, mister.”

“Mighty big. I also think celebrities are overrated. But that doesn't put an end to all the award shows, now does it?” He lifted his head up, a smile on his face. Eden searched his eyes, spotting something behind them, yet unable to decipher what it was. “I learned a long time ago that my opinion doesn't count. It shouldn't count to you,” he finished, glancing down once more.

Eden was certain she didn't want to speak further about her impending marriage to Philip, or the janitor whose hazel eyes held secrets in them she couldn't decipher.

Turning from Mike, she made her way out of the room.

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

My battery literally is about to die and it's like almost 12:00 midnight over here so I'm just going to stop here tonight.

I hope you vote and leave your thoughts behind. Thank you for reading.