two

Renjun woke, sunlight hitting his eyes through the window he forgot to close the blinds for the night before. He groaned, turning over to pick up his phone that was on his nightstand. He turned on the power and saw messages from his friends who had stayed up late, but no response from Jaemin. He sat up, staring at his phone in confusion. For what reason would he not respond?

    He washed up and shuffled absentmindedly downstairs, and he realized the house was still silent. He scratched his head. His brother Sicheng had gone out last night to give him and Jaemin some alone time, but he wasn't back yet. His parents were working overseas, and would return for the New Year.

Uncomfortable, he turned on the TV and switched to the local news channel, hoping to fill the silence. As he poured milk into his cereal, he listened in on what the news reporter was saying.

    "Last night at around 9:00PM, a car driving 30 kilometers above the stated limit swerved on ice and collided with a streetlamp. A witness called the police and ambulance, who arrived at the scene within minutes. The front of the car was found completely destroyed and the streetlamp had fallen onto the hood. Three bodies were found in the car, and it appears to be a family."

    Renjun froze, turning his head to listen better. On the screen, he saw a dark minivan that looked awfully familiar. His mind blanked, trying to deny what he was piecing together.

    "Sitting at the front, the two parents died on impact. Their son, who sat in the back, was found alive but had sustained severe injuries and was unconscious at the site."

    He could feel his heart rate speed up. It can't be. He didn't even hear when Sicheng unlocked the door and announced his presence, only to find Renjun a mess next to the television. Sicheng tried to calm down his younger brother, but to no use. He turned to see what Renjun was so upset over.

"The boy was immediately taken to the hospital and put in emergency care. Though his chances of making it are slim, doctors have been trying their best to ensure he lives." The news reporter pauses for someone who whispers something in his ear, then continues.

"My apologies for the interruption. We have just received new information and can confirm the survivor has been identified as an 17-year-old Na Jaemin."