53 - The Takeover

Start from the beginning

The eyes wander to Eve and I need to confess that I am happy that she gets up from her seat with pride. The little time she had, she used to calm down and sweep away the tears. Even though I can see that Lester is still standing a little too close, she is raising her chin.

With the burnings in her face, the doll looks like a die-hard warrior and that is exactly what she will need to be right now. I would feel sorry, but I know that she is strong enough for this. We need to stand together now.

"She is just a little girl, you can't be serious," Jacque dares to say in disbelief. I growl out at him and take his chin in my grip. "Don't you dare to question your new First Lady or I will rip you apart." I am not talking loudly, but my gleaming eyes underline how serious I am.

"I won't hold him back," Eve says and I smirk. That is my Lass.

"I will," Étain speaks up and I release Jacque to look at her. Lyall is standing next to her and I can tell that he does not really know if he wants to back her up or not. The tensions are nearly visible as Etain and I are standing on the opposite side of the fire pit in the middle of the room. I guess she would gladly use the opportunity to punish me when I dare to break their rules.

"I know you want a piece of me, kitten. Why don't we just clarify that once and for all?" I then ask and see her nod.

"Count me in, Ferret," she answers before growling my way and I return the gesture with showing her my fangs.

Lyall also growls out loud this moment. "Enough! I will not allow you to lay a hand on my partner, Butcher. I also will not allow you doing anything to Ethan, Étain. I'm still his caretaker," his eyes wander from her to me and back again, "Wasn't there enough blood and pain the last few weeks for the two of you? It's enough, do you hear me?" he growls out angrily.

"It is only his blood I want to see," Étain reminds Lyall and I snort. As if, I have not bled enough in my life already. It will never be enough for her though. Only when I do my last breath she will still want to have more. I know that kind of heartburn and I am almost tempted to feel sorry for her.

I have to smirk at the two of them though.

"That does not mean I won't let her kill you if necessary," Lyall finally chooses his side at my reaction and I am fine with it. I nod to both of them.

"You are one lucky French Frog," I take one more step in Jacque's direction to invade his personal space and look him in the eye, "but as soon as we leave these woods, they won't care about you anymore. You should watch your back very carefully."

I turn around to speak to my guards once more. "In case you all didn't realize as of yet, we are guests here. Don't dare to disgrace our Lord while he is absent!"

"Ethan," Eve drags me out of the staring, "here is my first order for you: I want you to take what Tristan wanted to gift you for so long already. Please do me the honor and share our last name as you obviously gave up yours just to protect this kingdom."

She slowly makes her way to me. Lester wants to back her up, but she denies his help.

I look at her in surprise, very well aware of the pair of eyes that are on me, but I cannot hide my fully flashed up eyes. Stupid little girl. Her soft smile reminds me of the sly one from Tristan.

The pain in my chest grows as I think about him and I really cannot let it take over. I need to overcome my anxiousness about the circumstances that prevent him from being here right now. My whole body is tense as I give her a simple nod. I need a little time to gather my thoughts.

I need a little time to prevent myself from giving in to the darkness within me, and the reality about what Tristan's absence could mean. I need to stay strong. For him, for Eve and for Nora who is still out there waiting for me to apologize.