~Chapter 1~

Grell Sutcliff sat in her cubicle, working on what felt like an endless amount of paperwork. Her shift would have originally ended four hours ago, but to no shock to the reaper community, she got into some trouble with the Dispatch. As a result, her superior, William T. Spears, required Grell to work unpaid overtime for the next week. As of right now, it was the second night Grell had to work hours past the end of her paid shift.

The unpaid overtime was torturous, and not only because Grell was confined to filling out paperwork after paperwork. But also because Grell probably wouldn't be able to see her boyfriend, Adrian Crevan, for a while. The two had a date planned yesterday evening, but Grell had to cancel. While Adrian was understanding, Grell was no doubt upset about it. She wondered why she couldn't have been suspended once again. She wouldn't have her death scythe, but she would at least have free time.

By the time Grell had finished her tedious tasks for the night, Grell's eyes were almost the same color as her hair and she could barely keep them open. Whenever Grell merely blinked, dreams would begin to form in her vision. After Grell put everything away, she stood and stretched her tired body, stiff from sitting down for long periods of time.

"Finally..." Grell said to herself, letting out a sigh of relief. It was now time to go home, which meant that she could finally get some rest. She gathered up her purse and pulled on her overcoat, before making her way out of the building. The moment Grell walked out, the cold air hit her face, helping her stay awake as she headed to the parking garage where her car was. Once she entered the vehicle, she turned on the engine and took off. As Grell drove, exhaustion crept up on her. There were a few occasions in which she swerved off the road. Thankfully, the roads weren't busy and no police officers weren't around. Or at least, they didn't notice.

Within the next ten minutes or so, Grell made it home safely. After she pulled up her driveway and shut off the engine, she dragged herself inside her home. On a stressful day like this, Grell would have given herself a steaming hot bubble bath while reading a People magazine. However, Grell was stripped of all energy. She was too tired to even eat something despite her stomach growling as loud as a whale. With a yawn, Grell walked up her spiral staircase and into her bedroom.

Grell pulled her hair into a loose ponytail before collapsing on her bed, pulling the covers up to her neck. Not bothering to shut off her light, she settled against her pillow and closed her eyes. Within minutes, the redhead had dozed off.

But unfortunately, Grell's slumber state didn't last long as she woke up before he entered the third stage of sleep. Confused and still exhausted, Grell glanced at the clock on her bedside and saw that it was half past eleven in the evening. It was shortly passed ten when Grell made it home, meaning that the redhead had merely slept for about an hour.

Noticing that the light was still on in her bedroom, Grell concluding that it was the source of her disrupted sleep. With a sigh, she crawled out of bed, tripping over her own feet in the process, and shut off the light. Her stomach still rumbled, and since she was already up, Grell decided to head downstairs and eat some crackers and cheese since it didn't require any preparation. With her hunger satisfied, Grell returned to her bedroom and got back into bed. She closed her eyes, waiting for sleep to come.

Except that it never did.

Although patience was not exactly in Grell's nature, she gave herself some time. But before she knew it, an half an hour had passed before transitioning to two hours. The redhead gradually grew more frustrated, which did not help the situation. Eventually, Grell exploded.

"UGH!" Grell yelled in fury. She kicked off the covers, sending them to the other end of the room and continued shouting. "Why the DEVIL can't I sleep!?" Grell huffed, and began to mutter angrily. While working overtime contributed to the exhaustion Grell was experiencing, the other factor that played in was that fact that this wasn't the first time Grell had been unable to sleep. And when she did sleep, it would last up to two hours at the most. She didn't understand how she developed this insomnia, but it has been occurring over the past couple of weeks and it was taking a toll on her.

Grell took another glance at her clock, seeing that it was now two in the morning. There were merely a few hours left before Grell had to wake up and get ready for work. Judging by how much time had past, Grell concluded that this was going to be another sleepless night. Not only was she going to be frustrated and tired, but dreadfully bored as well. Therefore, Grell grabbed her phone and began to text her boyfriend. She figured that Adrian was long asleep by now, she decided to give it a shot anyway.

Grell: Hello my love, are you awake? <3<3<3

Grell hit send and waited. To her surprise, she got a reply almost instantly.

Adrian: Indeed I am. Everything alright?

Grell: No, not quite ;_;

Adrian: Are you having trouble sleeping again?

Grell: Yes! But I'm so tired yet no matter what, I can't sleep! This is dreadful and I HATE IT! T_T

Adrian: Just count some sheep and you'll be alright ;)

Grell: ADRIAN! THAT'S NOT FUNNY

Adrian: Sorry, milady XD

Grell: What are you doing up anyway?

Adrian: I got distracted by Grey's Anatomy :P The episode I'm on is almost over, so if you want, I can come over for a bit and see if I can help you sleep. Would you like that? <3

Grell: YOU'LL DO THAT FOR ME!??

Adrian: Of course

Grell: Oh thank you! I'll see you in a bit then?

Adrian: In no more than twenty minutes :D

Grell: I'll see you then, my darling <3

Adrian: <3

Grell clutched the phone to her chest and squealed excitedly. Now she was going to have to figure out how to kill time so that Adrian could come faster.