Chapter 28 - Ending the First Order

"Captain, open communication channels to the Resistance. I wish to speak with them." 

Grand Admiral Skalick had surveyed all the possible options under which he would not end up like Vice Admiral Renor- doomed. His main objective now was his survival at any cost. Skalick had received communication from General Kail and General Valax that General Targo and Commander Kramer had forsaken them for the Resistance. Skalick was more than aware that Kail and Valax would surrender if it meant their lives would be spared. The autocannons had been decimated by the Resistance pilots who'd swept in close with their X-Wings, blasting them to useless fragments of metal. A Dreadnought's only major weakness was that autocannons were its only weapon, particularly in a battle like this. Skalick's autocannons were now useless. He could jump to light speed, but to what end? The shields were waning against the relentless fire from the two Star Cruisers. It would only be a matter of time, so the choice was to entreat the enemy or die. Skalick knew which he preferred.

"This is Lando Calrissian, Leader of the Resistance. What can I do for you, Grand Admiral Skalick?"

Skalick appreciated that the man had used his full title. There was never any need he felt to ignore proper etiquette.

"I have no desire for myself, my crew or my ship to join Vice-Admiral Renor's fate. I'm fully aware several of our high-ranking officers from the First Order have joined you. I see no point in my or my crew's sacrifice. What must we do in order to ensure that it is achievable?"

There was a long silence. The Resistance was deliberating.

"Call back your Ties; we'll call back our X-Wings. You will hand yourself over to the Resistance, and I'll come personally to accept your surrender."

Skalick noticed the leader had said nothing further of the fate that awaited on handing himself over.

"What happens once I surrender?" he queried. Another pause, not as long but filled with tension.

"Eventually, there will be a trial." The reply was unemotional.

"I see."

Skalick did not like the sound of these terms. Who was there in this galaxy fit to judge his actions? None, not even his Supreme Leader. It then dawned on Skalick that he could allow the conflict to end. He could oblige this leader of the Resistance to board his ship, take him prisoner, and then carve out an alternative solution one that didn't involve him on trial or imprisoned.

"Very well." 

It was fortunate they had not communicated through holo, or Calrissian would've seen a sinister expression enter Skalick's already long, grim face. A mildly disturbing smile etched the corners of his mouth as he brought his palms and long fingers together with the ruminations of a plan.

-X-

Aboard Admiral Deltan's Dreadnought Lando, Calrissian's communication with Grand Admiral Skalick ended, and through the observation window, he could see the Ties pulling back to their ship.

"Call our X-Wings back!"

The communications officer relayed his communication to the Star Cruisers. Admiral Deltan stepped forward, his brow lined with concern.

"You can't trust him. He's a snake of a man. He's as bad as Hux, worse even. He's not like the others. He's not going to hand himself over willingly if he thinks prison or death is likely."

"Agreed. Hail the Falcon. I'll use it for my transport," Lando ordered the communications officer.

"You can't seriously still be considering going over to him? Their defences are nearly depleted; it's over! Don't give him any leverage." Deltan pleaded with him.