Chapter 18 - Hux and his Assassin

Supreme Leader Hux had taken his position back on the throne as he watched his prisoners depart the throne room. A malevolent smile spread across his face; he allowed his position to alter slightly, settling down into the metal throne and allowing himself to be embraced. It was all coming together; next would be the execution, then the war. The elevator doors closed with that usual quiet hiss, and the elevator descended.

"General Kail," the woman came from her chair to his side and stood in front of him. "Have we had a confirmed location for the Resistance? Are they on Ealor?"

"They were Supreme Leader, the base has been abandoned, and we are currently attempting to find....."

General Kail was cut off mid-sentence by sudden blaring alarms and lights. Moments later, the elevator reappeared, and the door opened to reveal a single figure slumped against the wall: a figure dressed in chrome with yellow skin and bright red hair. Hux rose furiously from the throne and began marching towards the elevator. As he did so, out of the corner of his eye, he could see something, lots of something, exiting the ship. He halted and turned to look out of the viewing window; an incensed astonishment came over him as he realised what was happening- the escape pods all over the ship were launching.

Hux turned on his heel, "Someone remove her from the elevator and take her to my quarters." As Hux reached the throne, he touched the holo that allowed him to speak to the bridge. "Captain Peavey, what is happening?"

Captain Peavey stood to attention in the holo, "Supreme Leader, we appear to be experiencing a massive maintenance fault."

"I can see and hear that, Captain. Why are the escape pods launching?"

"We think we're being sliced, Supreme Leader; we're attempting to find the source."

A wave of realisation hit Hux.

"Captain, this is an escape plan by the prisoners Kylo Ren and that girl. Find the source of the hacking. Send troops to search for the prisoners. Traitors in our midst are likely aiding them." 

That was the only conceivable way Hux could think of for Chromia to have been tricked and subsequently rendered unconscious.

"Yes, Supreme Leader."

The holo ended. Hux could see two of the leaders had taken Chromia's form, as requested, out of the throne room. Hux turned to face his throne; behind it, the Knights of Ren stood like statues, the current alarming situation appearing to be of little concern to them. Hux fumed; this is what happened when you allowed such free-minded individuals into the ranks. No care for their betters or duty.
"Well! Your former leader is escaping. Are you going to do something about it?"

One of the dark Knights moved forward. Helmeted, dressed head to toe in black, they were ominous, with no faces, just masks, a dark, deadly presence.

"We follow the one named Chromia, not you. She is of the darkness; you are not."

Hux lost his temper; this trial and subsequent execution was an accumulation of months of planning to have his war clear the galaxy of disorder once and for all. He reached inside his coat for his hidden blaster, the one he always carried. He blasted one at random without taking his eyes off the Knight that had just spoken. The Knight fell to the floor dead.

"Chromia serves me, which means you serve me." He now pointed his blaster at the Knight that had stepped forward, "Go find Kylo Ren."

The Knight stepped forward, no acknowledgement given, but the four remaining Knights followed him to the elevator, appearing to be unfazed by their dead comrade.

Hux then turned to the leaders still sitting around the throne room. How were they all still sitting there?

"Well! Do your jobs! Find the Resistance, find that so-called Princess! Find my prisoners and prepare for war. I may not get my execution, but we will have a war to end all wars!" Hux was shouting intensely; he could see the nervous faces of a few leaders. Some, Grand Admiral Skalick and Vice Admiral Renor maintained their calm despite the alarms, lights and murder; they even managed a curt 'Supreme Leader' as they walked purposefully towards the elevator with the other leaders.