Chapter 22 - The Plan

Rey opened her eyes; her head was arched back on her bunk, and she was looking at the ceiling of her quarters. She could feel Ben quivering and shaking above her, just as the room and her belongings around the room had been only moments earlier. Some objects lay scattered across the room where they'd fallen from the air. She tilted her head to look at Ben; he was perched upon his forearms just above her, his hair hanging in his face as he breathed staggered, panting breaths. His ordinarily cool skin was warm to the touch. She reached a hand up to his face and tucked his hair back.

"You ok? You're trembling."

He managed a nod and a quiet murmur of confession that he was through jagged breaths, "Mmm-hmm, I'll be alright."

He lowered himself back onto her and nuzzled into her neck as they embraced each other in bliss. However, that was sadly short-lived as a knock at the door made them both jump. A self-conscious and embarrassed detangling of limbs and blankets followed as Rey attempted to make herself decent to open the door.

"Rey?" A muffled query came from the other side of the door, followed by another knock.

-X-

On the other side of the door, Poe stood fretting. He'd been at the table in central command with Finn, Rose, General Ematt, Admiral Nunb and General Calrissian. They'd been talking for hours, going over their resources and considering potential plans, but they'd achieved very little. Everyone was too saddened by the day's events, too tired from evacuating from their previous positions, but also anxious about what lay ahead.

Poe had been leaning back in his chair- it was late, really late. There were no windows in the command room, but he could see his droid charging in the corner, and Rose was practically asleep on Finn's shoulders, stirring every time he gave an agitated gesture before nestling back. Poe smiled; one day, he hoped to have someone to lean on. It felt as though anyone he'd got close to was gone, except Rey. The way she'd spoken about Kylo Ren and the way she looked at him. Poe shook those ideas from his mind; there was no point reflecting on what could have been any more, any hope he might've had he abandoned; it had never really been.

Poe sat forward, "I'm calling time. Let's get some rest, and we'll start properly tomorrow."

As everyone rose from the table to shuffle off, Poe patting each of them on the back and shaking hands in a gesture of farewell for the evening, the room began to shake. Everyone looked alarmed, and Rose woke up from her slumber, leaning on Finn. BB8 disconnected from where the droid had been charging. If it were the First Order, they'd have heard some alarms or warnings- something! BB8 beeped, confirming they weren't being attacked.

"Asteroid? Earthquake?" Poe asked his droid

BB8 beeped, suggesting that there was no way of knowing if an asteroid had hit the planet. Calculations could be done, but it would be easier to go outside and check. With regards to an Earthquake, it was possible, but BB8's data showed no signs that this planet had ever suffered seismic activity before.

"OK, OK, let's go check it out."

Structurally, everything seemed fine, and outside was just the night sky and an ocean of grey grass swaying in the breeze. The shaking had stopped, and a realisation hit Poe; could it have been the Force? Rey or Kylo Ren could have done this with the Force. It had been a taxing, emotional day for both of them. Perhaps the shaking they'd felt was an uncontrollable surge in the Force emitting from one of them. Poe told Finn to go to Kylo's quarters while he had headed straight to Rey's door, which is now where he found himself leaning against the door frame, straining to hear. Finn returned, shaking his head and stood leaning on the other wall. Poe knocked again, more agitated this time and concerned.