♦ Chapter Seventeen ♦

forelsket (n.) || the euphoria you experience when falling in love

) || the euphoria you experience when falling in love

"Hello, Esther," She greeted, stepping inside the cafe. 

Esther broke into a smile behind the register counter, "Hi, Miki! I'll never get tired of seeing you more often. How is that meat diet going?" 

She laughed, shaking her head, as Esther embraced her, "Really good, I'm going to try to break off by summer, though. I feel like I'm packing on the pounds." 

"I can imagine," Esther said, "I still find it odd but I guess kids have their cravings these days." 

"Hey," She pretended to pout, "I'm not a kid, I'm seventeen years old!" 

"Gosh," Esther feigned shock, "I'm so sorry, Miki. I meant a totally-full-grown-adult who is completely capable of taking care of herself. How could I forget?" Esther poked her on the nose and she laughed, rolling her eyes. 

"Okay, alright," She replied, "Don't make it worse." 

She followed Esther into the backroom where her supplies were neatly stacked and boxed as they always were. They teased each other a little more as they carried the boxes out to her sled. She knelt down to secure the straps and Esther helped beside her. 

"It won't be too long and you won't be able to use this sled," Esther commented, "The spring season is leaving holes in the snow." 

She accidentally snorted, then cleared her throat and chuckled a little, "I mean, yeah. I'll have to get the wagon back out. But I figured it would be a good last run, there is still enough snow and ice packed on the road." 

She finished securing the boxes and stood up to pat her hands on her jeans, ridding herself of the dirt that tried to cling to her skin. 

Esther glanced out at the forest beyond the town, her face growing serious, "Be careful out there, Miki. The forest is a dangerous place." 

She frowned at the sudden statement and she turned to face Esther, "What?" 

"Some men came into the cafe this morning," Esther sighed, "They were out for the first hunt of the spring, hunting some peasants or something like that. I'm not sure, but Miki, they were talking about a group of wolves," Her blood instantly ran cold, Esther continued, "They said they came out of nowhere and appeared to be aggressive. I know that you spend a lot of time in the forest, but for both our sakes I think you should stay indoors until these wolves are killed. Miki, promise me you'll stay inside, okay?" 

She could hardly breath as she swallowed around her dry tongue, "That's odd," She mumured weakly, "I haven't heard anything. I promise I'll stay inside. Thank you, for the warning, I really appreciate it."