7. Zola's Algorithim

When the explosion ended, the whole place was on fire. The three stayed close. Natasha was knocked unconscious by the falling debris. Jessie got up, using her own strength, along with the strength of her cybernetic arm, to push up a piece of stone blocking their way out. Steve looked to her. She got out first, putting her hand out for Steve to give her Natasha to pull her out. He did so, and got out after, carrying Natasha back to the truck they left at the gate. They got in the truck, laying Natasha in the back seat, and driving back to D.C. Natasha had woken up along the way. Steve drove to Sam’s house. The three got out of the truck and walked to the back door of the house, knocking on the door. Sam pulled the blinds up and opened the door.

“Hey man,” Sam said, possibly just getting in from a morning run.

“I’m sorry about this,” Steve said.

“We need a place to lay low,” Jessie spoke in a quiet, almost raspy voice.

“Everybody we know is trying to kill us,” Natasha said.

“Not everyone,” Sam said, moving to the side, allowing the three to enter to house. He closed the door, pulling the blinds down. He showed them a spare bedroom with a bathroom where they could take a shower. Natasha sat on the bed, drying her hair with a towel. Jessie laid quietly on the bed looking at the dog-tags she had on.

~1944~

Jessie was sitting in her tent at the 107th base in Italy reading a book. She heard someone walk into the tent, looking up to see Bucky. He smiled and sat next to her on her cot. Taking her hand, Jessie felt Bucky place something cold in it without saying anything. He closed her hand around it, getting up without a word. Jessie looked in her hand to find Bucky’s dog-tags.

“Bucky,” she quietly said, looking up at him before he left the tent.

“I want you to keep them,” he replied with a smile, turning back to face her. “They’ll look better on you anyways.”

“But, what if the Colonel finds out their gone?”

“Who said anything about him finding out?” Jessie giggled as she put the tags around her neck. She stood up and walked over to Bucky, giving him a hug. He wrapped his arms around her, resting his head on top of hers. Bucky kissed her forehead.

“I was thinking,” the male Sergeant began saying, “Maybe when we get back we can go on a date?” Jessie looked up at her friend, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

“Yes,” she replied. “I think that can be arranged.” The last thing she remembered was Bucky’s lips pressing against hers.

~2014~

Steve noticed both Natasha and Jessie being quiet. He walked into the room, and looked at them.

“You two okay?” he asked, walking over to the bed and sitting in a chair next to Jessie. She nodded. He pulled her up into a hug. “What’s going on?” Natasha looked at him.

“When I first joined S.H.I.E.L.D.,” she began saying, “I thought I was going straight… But I guess I just traded in the KGB for Hydra. I thought I knew what I was doing but… I guess I can’t tell the difference anymore.” Jessie closed her eyes as she leaned against Steve.

“Well, there’s a chance you might be in the wrong business.”

“I owe you, Jessie.” The Sergeant shook her head.

“It’s okay,” she said in a whisper.

“If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, you be honest with me… would you trust me to do it?”