4. Enemies

At the hospital, Steve and Jessie were watching Nick's surgery. Jessie had gotten her arm taken care of earlier. Natasha walked into the room.

"Is he going to be okay?" Natasha asked.

"I don't know," Jessie replied.

"Tell me about the shooter."

"He was strong. Fast. Had a metal arm." Agent Hill walked in and stood next to Natasha.

"Ballistics."

"Three slugs," Agent Hill said. "No Rifle, and completely untraceable."

"Soviet made."

"Yeah." The heart monitor began to go off. The doctors tried to revive Nick, but failed. Maria walked out of the room along with Jessie and Steve, leaving Natasha alone. They were all in another room as Natasha was there to see Nick one last time. She walked out. Steve and Jessie followed her.

"Natasha," Steve said, trying to get her attention. She turned around.

"Why was Fury in your apartment?" she asked.

"We don't know," Jessie said. Agent Rumlow walked up.

"Captain," he said. Steve turned around. "They want you back at S.H.I.E.L.D." Steve nodded.

"Yeah, give me a second," he said.

"They want you now."

"Okay." Rumlow walked away. Steve turned back around to Natasha.

"You're a terrible liar." She walked away. Steve looked to Jessie. They decided to leave the flash drive in the vending machine they were standing next to. Steve drove both him and Jessie to S.H.I.E.L.D. Since Director Pierce wanted to meet only with Steve, she went to the weapons room, getting more ammunition for the Sniper Rifle. When Steve was done meeting with Pierce, he got Jessie and they began to leave. They got into the elevator.

"Operations control," Jessie spoke to the AI waiting for a command.

"Confirmed," she said. The doors began to close until Rumlow and two other Agents walked in.

"Forensics," he said.

"Confirmed."

"Captain. Sergeant." Steve turned around and Jessie looked at the Agent.

"Rumlow." The elevator began to descend to the lower floors.

"Evidence reports said they have some fibers from the roof they want us to see. You want me to get the Tack Team ready?"

"No, let's wait and see what it is first."

"Right." The elevator stopped and the doors opened. A group of business Agents walked in.

"Administration Public," a man said.

"Confirmed." Jessie and Steve noticed that one of the men with Rumlow kept his hand on a tazer. The business men moved to the back corner of the elevator. Jessie and Steve stepped forward, giving the men room. Jessie wrapped her arms around Steve's arm. He could tell she was beginning to get claustrophobic because of the amount of people in the small space.

"Sorry about what happened with Fury," Rumlow said. "Messed up what happened to him."

"Thank you," Steve replied. He and Jessie began to have suspicions of the men in the elevator. It stopped again and the doors opened revealing three more Agents. They walked in.

"Records," one of them said.

"Confirmed." The doors closed. After a minute, Steve decided to speak up.

"Before we get started," he said breaking the silence. "Does anyone, besides Jessie, want to get out?" After he said that, all the men began to attack them. The business men took the handles off their briefcases and used them as a sort of magnet. One of them put a handle around Steve's wrist and they tried to magnetize his hand to the metal wall of the elevator. He began fighting the other men. Jessie stayed off to the side till one of the bigger Agents noticed her and began to fight her as well. She mostly fought with her left arm, using the electric relays Stark had built into the arm. She knocked the guy out with the electricity. Rumlow kicked Steve's hand and magnetized it to the wall of the elevator. It was just him against Jessie and Steve. Steve got his arm loose from the wall.

"Whoa, big guy," Rumlow said. "Just so you know, it's nothing personal." He began to attack Steve only to be grabbed by Jessie, and shocked, falling to the ground unconscious.

"Really?" she asked. "Because it kinda feel's personal." Steve kicked his shield up and cut the magnet off. He pressed the emergency stop button and the doors opened. A swat team was there pointing their guns to Jessie and Steve. Steve used the shield and cut the cable to the elevator, making it begin to fall. When it stopped, they opened another door, only to see another swat team there. Steve did the only option they had left and jumped through the side of the elevator, landing in the lobby of the building. Jessie followed him, only landing a little more with ease than he did. Jessie helped him up. They ran to the garage getting on Steve's motorcycle. Luckily, they made it out as the doors were closing. A Quinjet flew in front of the car and began to shoot at it. Steve threw his shield at the turbine of the jet. It began spinning out of control but soon gained control again. He stopped the motorcycle, both him and Jessie jumping off it. Jessie jumped off the jet, landing on the other side while Steve broke the turbines of the jet. He jumped off the jet, landing next to Jessie as the jet spun out of control.