Sacrificial Exo

Lilli just finished stealing the World's Grave when she heard Max screaming in pain. Max! She ran through the Circle of Bones, one of the lower rings of the Hellmouth and the center of the Hive Fortress, before reaching the Chamber of the Sword. Max laid his back perpendicular to the floor, his knees up to his crying eyes, and his hands were working endlessly to wipe tears away. The Hunter rushed to the Warlock, "What's wrong?"

Max didn't shift an inch, "It's nothing," he sobbed, "nothing to be concerned about."

"You screamed in anguish! It reverberated throughout the Fortress!"

Max shook his head, "I don't want you to be burdened..."

"How so?" she asked.

"Remember that false alarm? Or how I suggested that we save Leviathan?"

Lilli knelt close to the Warlock, "You only wanted to do the right thing, and no one can blame you for wanting to stay alive. It's just human nature." The Hunter let out a sigh and said with a small laugh, "Besides, I like a challenge, and you still owe me."

Max sighed, "I saw the end of the world, the skies ablaze, and an endless war consuming all!" He broke down in tears.

Lilli rested a hand on his shoulder, "It's okay, it's just a dream."

Max shook, "No, it wasn't! It was real! It felt so real!" He broke down and cried again, "Is this my future? Or my past?"

Max's Ghost came out of his backpack and said, "Hold on, I'm restoring your Light." With 3 pulses, the Ghost restored Max's Light, and the Warlock wiped away his tears. "Feeling better?"

"A little bit, but what did I see?"

"I don't know, and I don't like it."

The Hunter stood, "This is ridiculous, Ghost."

Max's Ghost looked at Lilli dead in the eyes, "No, it's not. I healed him when-"

"DON'T YOU DARE SAY IT! I've had it up to here with the lies! First Leviathan, and now you!?"

"You don't know what you're talking about!"

"Guys!" Max shouted, "Stop fighting!" Then he settled down, "Ghost, Lilli was trying her best. There's no shame in that."

"But I-"

"We know, but I think that you should compliment her for trying."

"Aren't you going to teach her something?" The Ghost quipped.

Max looked over at her and said, "No, she doesn't need lessons now."

The Ghost sighed, "Fine, I'm sorry Lilli."

The Hunter bowed gratefully, then crouched down and picked up the Sword's Core. Surprisingly, it didn't affect her like it did to Max. "Well," she said, "Looks like we're done here." She turned on the comms, "Eris, we're coming home!"

Just then, a loud growl emanated throughout the Fortress. I LIVE AS I WAS EXILED.

Max and Lilli shivered, "Crota!" They rushed out of the room and back into the Circle of Bones, listening for another growl similar to the first. I AM THE REAPER OF WORLDS! ALL WILL BOW TO ME! The growl came from the direction of the World's Grave, and from there, the two Guardians ran through tunnels infested with Thrall and Cursed Thrall, through rooms guarded by lesser Knights and Acolytes, before reaching a darkened hallway, which resembled a large tunnel more than a hallway. The dark hallway had a squiggly path leading to the Chamber of Night at the end, and was only lit by eerie green lanterns on both sides every 5 sharp pillars. Like in the tunnels of the World's Grave, this hallway was infested with Hive Thrall, Acolytes, and Knights. Max and Lilli fired into the Hive hoard, then marched  on through the hallway. As they progressed, the hallway gained structure and looked less like a large tunnel, but the dark ambience remained.