Hired Gun part 22

The next day, a messenger arrived sometime before dawn. All further tryouts were canceled. Robert, Clarabelle and Jezebel left the ship in the early morning and didn't return till well after noon.

When Clarabelle came back, she had Brian with her as well as the ship's doctor and three members of the crew. Two were carrying collections of bags and boxes. The third carried a too-thin girl in his arms.

Auska had been on the docks near the gangplank taking advantage of a relatively open space to practice her kata.

When Clarabelle saw her, she came over to where Asuka was. "After I get these two settled below decks, mind coming into town with me?"

"Hai," Asuka agreed shyly.

"Great, I'll meet you here in a bit."

***

It was close to an hour later when Clarabelle returned. "Sorry for keeping you waiting, I had to get some measurements," she explained. "Shall we?"

The two visited a few shops, where Clarabelle used measurements she had obtained to select a variety of clothes for suitable for young children.

After the third shop, Asuka and Clarabelle both carried a number of packages and several more were promised for delivery to the shop that night.

"Our two new kids both have nothing suitable for the airship, so I am getting them a each at least half a dozen outfits and a harness just in case. But a couple of the others could use a new outfit or two as well," Clarabelle answered as they entered a shop that advertised shoes and boots.

"How do you afford so much?" Asuka marveled.

"Even capturing a single merchant's cargo brings a lot of money," Clarabelle stated. "More if it's a ship carrying taxes, tribute, or looted treasures. If we keep the ship and sell it, that's even more. Capturing a warship, even if severely damaged, can net at least as much as the cargo from a small merchant. Then we also smuggle things past the British, sell information, and so forth. In a way, we're also being paid for hiring you and some of the jobs that we will have you do."

She paused as she picked up a pair of boots and looked them over before sitting them back down.

"Even after all the expenses; repairs, fees, tithes, food, pay for those that don't earn prize shares, about two-thirds of what we make is left over. We divide that up into five hundred equal shares. Depending on their role, each crew member receives between one and four shares. Officers receive between five and eight, and Robert claims ten. A few shares are set aside for the kids beyond their wages, and a few are set aside for families of those we lose or for those that are too ill or too injured to serve."

"That doesn't sound like much." A pair of black leather knee-high boots caught Asuka's eye and she looked them over before checking the price and setting them back down.

Her companion noticed. "Why don't you try them on?" she asked.

"They are too much. I cannot afford them," was the reply.

"Try them on anyways. Just humor me."

Asuka glanced over to Clarabelle who raised a single brow. "Fine," she muttered, picking up the pair of boots and heading to the nearest chair.

A middle aged gentleman hurried over and helped the young woman remove the boots and put on the other pair. "How do they feel?" He asked. "Any pinching or rubbing?"

"It is as if they were made just for me," Asuka marveled, shaking her head. "The fit is perfect!"

"They are made from Venetian leather," the man smiled. "You should walk around in them."

"Go on," Clarabelle told her before she could object.

Standing up Asuka started to pace the shop a few times.

"Take care to oil and polish them regularly and they will remain waterproof and supple for years. The soles have good treads and should last over a year even if you were to wear them continuously."

"Hai, I like them," Asuka said, hanging her head. "But I cannot afford them." She returned to the chair.

Clarabelle came up beside her and handed a small pouch to the shopkeeper. "Will that cover her boots and these two pairs of shoes?" she asked, holding up two pairs of kids shoes.

Emptying the pouch out into his hands and counting the coins, the shopkeeper nodded. "Aye, and I'll throw in delivery to wherever you wish, since you seem quite burdened already," the shopkeeper smiled. "I'll write up the receipt as soon as I'm done helping her change her boots back."

Asuka turned to Clarabelle but before she could say a word, the other woman placed her finger to Asuka's lips. "Not a word. Consider this payment for running you ragged these last few days and for the lessons you've promised me."

The shopkeeper eased the boots off Asuka and placed them in a box. "Remember to wear them only for short periods at first until you break them in, or you'll have blisters." He then helped Asuka back into the boots she wore into the shop. "Where do you want your packages delivered?"

"Please have them brought to the Robert's Revenge at the airship docks," came the answer.

"The Robert's Revenge? Oh then you must be the famous Clarabelle Black! I am humbled you chose to frequent this shop."

He turned to Asuka, "Young lady, do not look so embarrassed. If someone as famous as Miss Black wishes to reward you, you have earned it. Now let me go write up that receipt."

"Won't Robert get mad that you spent the kids' funds on me, instead?" Asuka asked as soon as he was out of earshot.

Clarabelle snorted. "Even if I had, he would not have cared. In fact, if he were here, he would have probably insisted on having you pick out a second pair as well; which I would have done if you were not so upset at my buying the one pair for you."

Before either could say anything else, the shopkeeper jovially sauntered back. "Here's your receipt, ladies. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you."

"I'll be back next time I'm in town," Clarabelle promised with a smile.

As the two women left the shop, they heard the kind man call out behind them, "Stay safe."

"Hai, we will try," Asuka agreed as the door shut behind them.

Please remember to comment or vote and let me know what you think.  Also please comment if you find any mistakes.  It helps me out greatly.