Fulfilling Dreams part 6

The two groups raced through the park and headed back towards the docks. About halfway there, a line of armed men appeared in the roadway ahead of them, and more poured out from alleyways on either side of the street. Angel didn't slow down, and pulled them through the line which closed behind them.

Jonathan looked back. The group of armed men greatly outnumbered the Redcoats who had now stopped and were completely surrounded. The last view he had of them, was of the Redcoats having their weapons yanked away from them.

They kept running until they reached the shipyards. By then Jonathan's sides hurt and his legs felt like they could barely hold them up. Angel must have felt the same way judging by the way she dropped his bag, and slid down beside it panting. Both of the men seemed winded as well. Only the dog didn't appear to be in any way distressed, busy wagging its tail and licking Angel's face happily.

One of the men stayed with the two youngsters, while the other made his way over to where the Queen of Argyll still floated above her berth. He shouted something up to the ship. After a moment, someone slid down one of the thick heavy lines hanging from the ship and headed towards Angel and Jonathan with the bodyguard in tow.

Jonathan recognized Kalem before Angel did. He straightened up and nudged Angel.

"Hey lad, it's probably best if you go home and stay there," Kalem said without preamble. "No guarantee the Redcoats won't be back."

"So the captain won't be giving a tour after all?"

"If the Redcoats don't come back, he will, lad, but that won't be for a few hours yet." The sailor shook his head. "I won't force you to leave, but I can't guarantee your safety."

Kalem turned his attention to Angel. "Lass, as soon as we're done with the trials, the captain wants you aboard. We're leaving at first light."

Angel looked up and nodded, her green eyes still haunted. She looked around nervously.

Kalem pointed out a nearby building. "That's one of the supervisor's buildings. If I talk to him, I think I can get him to let you stay there for a bit." Without waiting for an answer he set out at a quick pace.

Jonathan helped Angel to her feet. She picked up his bag despite his protests and set off after Kalem. Jonathan followed behind with the bodyguards and the dog still trying to convince Angel to let him carry his own bag. In response, she hugged it to her chest and picked up her pace.

Once inside, Kalem explained the situation to the supervisor who readily gave his consent for the group to remain near his secretary so long as the kids and dog remained quiet. After making sure kids and the bodyguards were set, he left promising to return when it was time for the tour.

The next several hours passed surprisingly quickly. The supervisor's office was surprisingly busy with men and occasionally women rotating in and out to discuss problems, get paperwork signed, or any number of other things.

The secretary, a woman somewhere between the ages of Angel and Jonathan's mother was kind to them offering them a dish of candies and occasionally asking them questions. The fact that Angel was mute didn't seem to faze her in the slightest. The woman simply pulled out a pen and paper when Jonathan explained to her that Angel didn't talk.

The only time Jonathan came close to anything resembling annoyance with the secretary is when she laughed and sided with Angel when Angel decided to open his bag and go through it before giving it back.

Fortunately, Angel didn't pull any of the contents out, but she gave Jonathan a weird look before giving it back. When the secretary wasn't looking Angel followed the look up with a note. 'Be careful.'

Jonathan tried to give his best innocent look, but the girl just rolled her green eyes and snorted. He gave up and munched on one of the candies.

When at last Kalem came to collect them, Jonathan was quivering with excitement. The Queen of Argyll was no longer in the repair berth, but was in one of the normal docks, almost as if she were an ocean vessel. Her balloons were still inflated allowing the ship to ride high in the water. A long, wide ramp led up to the main deck.

A number of people were obviously here for the tour. Judging by their dress, several were obviously well off, but surprisingly, nearly as many were not.

"The better dressed ones are politicians and nobles," Kalem explained upon seeing the boy appraising the crowds. "The rest are mostly a few of our supporters and their families, and a number of others from the resistance. There are also a few pirates."

He led them up to where the crowd was being split into smaller groups. "Warships don't usually allow civilians, but the Queen is a special case. Even, battered as she still is, she is a symbol. She gives hope that someday Ireland and the Americas might be free. Enjoy the tour, lad and lass," he smiled as left them with one of the groups.

The tour took only the better part of an hour. Among the highlights were the nine masts, the fore and aft castles including the wheel, one of the cannons, the captain's quarters, and the lifeboats. The tour was interesting, and normally Jonathan would have been thrilled, but he had other plans in mind.

As they were being shown how to use the safety lines, Jonathan quietly snuck away to one of the open hatches nearby. Taking a quick glance around and another below, he quickly slung his bag over his shoulder and slid down the ladder. Stepping to the side, he turned around and slid down the ladder to the next deck down as well.

There was not a ladder to the next deck down, so he turned around to find himself in a narrow hallway. He started to sneak along it when seemingly out of nowhere a powerful arm grabbed him by the back of the neck of his shirt.