Hired Gun Part 10

As the two lines of battle slowly came together, the lead British ship launched one of her boats. As it tentatively approached the pirate line, Asuka saw that instead of flying the British Jack, it held a simple plane white flag instead.

"Away boat is floating the flag of parley, captain!" someone shouted out. "What shall we do?"

"Hold fast and wait for my orders," came Robert's answer as he handed the wheel off to one of the crew. He made his way over to the railing, not far from where Asuka and Clarabell had been standing. As he passed the two ladies—with Jezebel and an officer trailing behind him—he motioned for Asuka and Clarabelle to join him.

As the quintet reached the railing, the captain pulled out a spyglass and looked out at the boat. He passed the spyglass to the officer, then to both of the sisters in turn. "What do you think?" he asked them quietly, his voice just loud enough to carry over the winds.

"Up to you, Robert," Jezebel shrugged.

"Part of me wants to say to hell with the parley and blow them to hell," the officer said. "On the other hand, we've had some good luck hearing the British out in the past," he continued nodding towards the direction Peters stood giving orders to one of the gun crews.

Clarabelle passed the spyglass to Asuka before answering. Even then she took her time before replying.

Asuka took the moment to look through the glass. It took her a moment to locate the boat in it, and another moment to figure out how to adjust it. When she finally managed to achieve a relatively clear image, she was able to see four men. One was simultaneously adjusting the rudder and balloon while two were fussing with the small sails. A fourth, which Asuka assumed to be either an officer or the captain based upon his much fancier uniform, sat at the prow.

The small number of men for the size of the boat seemed a little odd to her, but what she found truly surprising was the condition of the men. They seemed to be rather thinner than she expected and their movements were simultaneously slow and jerky.

She lowered the spyglass and handed it back to the captain as Clarabelle finally answered. "I will, of course support, you whatever you decide, but I too am torn. I guess it couldn't hurt to hear out what they have to say."

"And you," Robert looked into Asuka's eyes as she placed the spyglass in his hands. "What do you have to say?"

Asuka blinked in surprise. "I am just the hired gun," the corners of her mouth curled up in a small, tight smile that never reached her eyes.

Robert studied her for a moment then turned away, dismissing her from his mind as he started calling out orders.