Twenty-four: New Paths

Start from the beginning

Now, he didn't know what to do. It took a whole month for Jazmine not to cry or become enraged at the simple mention of Dave's name let alone seeing him on television. Now, she has to raise her son without his well-living and breathing father. It would be different if Dave wasn't alive.

Pulling up to the huge buffet, MaCartier found a parking space near the front, using Jazmine's handicap sign for her pregnancy and woke her up.

"Hmm?" She whined.

"We're here." MaCartier poked her cheek.

"I'm not hungry." She whined.

"Girl I know you fucking lying, wake yo ass up." MaCartier smacked her thigh which woke Chase up. He slung slobber all over himself trying to see what was going on.

MaCartier got him and put him on the ground to walk with his hand in his.

Jazmine climbed out the car, mugging MaCartier.

"You wanted food, you have free food right here." MaCartier held the door open for her.

"You better be lucky I'm hungry, jackass." She mumbled as she entered the building. They walked up to the cash register and paid for their meals before going and fixing their plates.

Once Jazmine was finished fixing her tray of food along with Chase's, they sat down and MaCartier got up to fix his plate.

"We have to wait for your Daddy to come back and say grace, okay." Jazmine fixed a paper napkin bib so Chase wouldn't mess up his clothes.

"Okay." He nodded.

A few minutes passed and MaCartier finally came and said grace.

They talked and ate for a nice comfortable minute on their first round.. that was until they heard loud commotion coming from the other side of the restaurant which was the party rooms.

"They must be really having a party going on." MaCartier pointed with his fork.

"I guess. I'm going to get my second round. Y'all good?" Jazmine struggled to get up a little. She used the table and pushed herself up before grabbing her tray and heading back up to the buffet.

Piling her plate full with macaroni, someone behind her smacked their lips.

"I know your fat ass ain't taking all the damn food."

Jazmine dropped the spoon and turned to the person.

"And who the hell do you think you're talking to?" Jazmine rolled her neck.

"I didn't know you were pregnant, excuse me." The man threw his hands up in defense.

"Yeah, asshole." Jazmine moved to the fried chicken and got her a leg and moved on to the fried rice.

"I apologize for my brother's rude remarks." A tall brother spoke to Jazmine's right.

"Excuse me, ma'am." The man tapped Jazmine's shoulder.

She looked up at him and placed the spoon for the rice down.

"Yes?"

"I apologize for my brother's actions. He shouldn't have talked to you, as a woman alone, that way." He looked into her eyes.

Jazmine nodded, "Its nice for you to apologize for his mistakes. It's quite cute, you must be the big brother... Always have to fix his shit? We'll look, luckily I'm in a nice mood today and I'm pregnant in hungry. Thank you, now if you don't mind I would love to go and demolish my plate before my third round." Jazmine nodded with a smile before heading back to the table.

MaCartier had the glasses refreshed and he got up with Chase to get their second round of food.

Sitting and eating as she watched some intriguing movie playing on the television, Jazmine felt good. The macaroni was smacking to her and she was in pure heaven. She slipped her slides off her feet and leaned back in her seat a little.

"Full?" The waitress smiled.

Jazmine opened her eyes and smiled back, "Yes, quite."

"I see you're eating for two, could I interest you in dessert? Someone treated your table to such."

"This is a buffet, what do you mean treat?" Jazmine laughed.

"Well we do have some services that are extra. For example, the Rib and gourmet area. Then we have the exotic food section in the far back." She gestured.

"Well, if I must. I could use some chocolate cakes with nice pretty icing. And some freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. Oh! And some strawberry and chocolate ice cream." Jazmine nodded.

"Will that be all?" The waitress wrote the order down.

"Yes, thank you."

"Coming right up."

MaCartier came back and sat Chase on his lap.

The dessert came within a few minutes and MaCartier's eyes grew.

"Jazmine!" He slapped the table causing a few people to stare.

"No, someone already treated the gourmet and expensive stuff to our table. Might as well put it to use." She shrugged.

"So you order the entire menu, huh?" MaCartier fed Chase some chicken he had cut up into smaller pieces for him to enjoy.

"Might as well enjoy it." Jazmine dived into the freshly baked cookies.

"Don't be like your aunt , Chase." MaCartier joked.

"It's okay to treat yourself." Jazmine shrugged.

"Yeah! Ice cream!" Chase clapped.

"After you finish your food." MaCartier pointed.

"Okay." Chase nodded and dug into his macaroni.

They enjoyed their food and were able to get to-go plates.

As they left, Jazmine looked back and seen a familiar arm wrapped around a woman's waist.

Shaking her head, she headed on to the car and got in a comfortable position for the ride home. She definitely was about to catch her a good ole nap.

She needed the rest.