chapter 6

we land in california and my sister shakes me softly so i wake up. i rub my eyes and look to my sister, thinking i would see joey. i realize it was my sister that woke me up and my mood dropped. i texted joey i had landed and walked off the plane. my sister, jake, and i all walked to her car and i got put in the back. yAy. once we got home, i carried my bag to my room and took a shower. i stood in the shower, listening and watching the water fall. my eyes got a glossy and i quickly finished washing my body and hair. after getting dressed and braiding my hair, i grabbed my phone and had 3 missed facetime calls from joey. i smile big to myself and call him back. he answers on the second ring.*

joey- hey cutiee

ivy- hellooo ugly

joey- ouch

ivy- i'm kidding you're adorable

joey- yay my feelings aren't hurt anymore

*we both laugh. 1 minute turns into 1 hour and that 1 hour turned into us falling asleep. well, he fell asleep first because of time change and i didn't have the heart to hang up on him. when i woke up, the sun was shining through my window onto my face and joey was calling for me.*

joey- ivy, wake uppp

joey- ivy

joey- good morning sleepyhead, you're finally up

ivy- and i'm going back to sleep

joey- noooo ba- cutiee stay awake

*i blush hard knowing what he was going to say and rubbed my eyes. i smile at him and stand up.*

ivy- joeyyyyy

joey- ivyyyyy

ivy- i miss you

joey- trust me, i miss you too

ivy- but i miss you more

joey- you can win even though i miss you most

ivy- when do you think we will see each other again?

joey- im not sure but it won't be long i can promise you that

ivy- i hope you're right

joey- i always am

ivy- yay mr.cocky is back

joey- rude

ivy- i'm kidding

*i make breakfast while we stay on facetime and eat. we laugh over various things and i look at the time. the clock read '5:46pm' my sister hadn't been home all day. i wonder why. i texted her earlier but she never answered. all of the sudden, there's a knock on the door.*

ivy- birlem i'll be right back

joey- okay don't miss me too much

ivy- oh ssh

*we both laugh softly and i walk downstairs, answering the door. the police were at the door and i opened it being confused and nervous for whatever they were going to tell me.*

police officer- hello, are you ivy?

ivy- yeah, that's me. what's going on?

police officer- this might be hard to hear but your sister got in a crash earlier and she's been at the hospital for a few hours. we didn't want you seeing her yet but you can now if you'd like. the visiting hours close at 9pm and open at 9am.

ivy- o-okay thank you.

police- we're here if you need anything.

*they leave as i shut the door. i slide down the wall and starts sobbing into my knees. i keep crying as i hear joey calling for me on facetime. i put my hood over my face and walk back upstairs to my room. joey sees me and his smile immediately drops to a concerned face.*

joey- ivy, is everything okay?

ivy- no..

joey- what happened?

ivy- my sister got in a car c-crash..

joey- oh no ivy..

*i start crying into my hands again and call for an uber to come pick me up and take me to the hospital.*

joey- how long ago?

ivy- i don't know.. the police just came and told me..

joey- go see her and call me when you come back home okay?

ivy- stay on the phone with me till the uber gets here.. please..

joey- i will, take deep breaths

*i listen to him while crying. the uber shows up so i say goodbye and sit in the car. i look out the window the whole time, blocking out everything else that could possibly be going on. the uber driver pulls up to the hospital and i pay him before getting out. i walk to the front desk and wait in line, repeatedly tapping my foot. finally it was my turn and i asked for the room number my sister is in. the lady working at the front desk told me 345. i run to the elevator and tap floor 3 as fast as i can but of course people get on, having to go to floor 2 causing me to become impatient. i run off the elevator and quickly walk to my sisters room. i knock on the door softly and hear a quiet voice saying "come in".

ivy- hey sky..

skylar- hi little sis..

ivy- how'd this happen..?

skylar- don't get mad please.

ivy- skylar, just tell me.

skylar- jake got drunk and while i was driving him to his house, he grabbed the steering wheel and made us hit a tree.

ivy- what the fuck.

skylar- ivy, he didn't mean to.

ivy- being drunk causes sober thoughts to come out.

skylar- at least i'm okay.

ivy- but you could've died! i could've had no one!

skylar- ivy come here.

*i walk over to her and hug her tightly as i start to cry. i apologize for yelling while i cry. we hug for awhile before she lays back down so i wipe my eyes.*

ivy- please don't do it again..

skylar- i cant promsie that ivy.

ivy- why not? don't you care about yourself, and us? if you die i'm going to be alone.

skylar- i understand that but if he gets drunk again, i'm going to have to pick him up.

ivy- whatever. get well soon. i love you.

*we say our goodbyes and soon enough, i'm laying in bed again. i didn't call joey back. too many thoughts are going through my head. i slowly fall asleep at 2am. i wake up the next morning to multiple knocks on my door.*