He wiped the tip of his nose. "Were you joking with me?"

"Maybe." The girl smirked.

Bryan laughed. "You're funny, too."

Keira was giggling when Sam slumped in. He looked from his father to Keira. "Which one is your girlfriend?" His tone was deadpan.

Bryan laughed. "I made pancakes."

"You mean the only thing you can cook."

Alison jumped up and offered Sam a drink and poured him orange juice. Bryan wanted to tell her to relax. Sam would settle in better if she didn't fuss over him. People had fussed over him too much in his young life.

Alison said, "We're making cookies. Do you want to help?"

"I don't know."

"I'm going to." Bryan volunteered.

"Are people planning to eat them?"

"Auntie sent Alison the recipe for your favorites."

Sam shrugged but didn't leave the kitchen after he finished eating. He was busy on his phone but was watching Bryan trying to roll balls with amusement.

Finally, Bryan said, "Can you do better?"

"Ah, yeah. I've been making them for years."

"Come and show me." Bryan challenged him.

From behind him, he heard Alison. "Oh no! I thought I had more butter! I promised Cole, I'd make Chex Mix."

Bryan who had failed ball rolling offered to run to the store for her.

Alison paused for a moment. "Just go buy a pound from Rick. I'll pay more, but the convenience is worth it. Keira, do you want to walk Bryan to The Landing?"

She jumped up and ran to get dressed. "I guess that's a yes. Sam, do you want to come?"

"Nah."

Bryan was glad Sam was comfortable to stay with Alison. He and Keira bundled up and set out to the market. She pointed out places to him along the way. Many he already knew about, but he found out her friends lived down Plover Way. He also learned bubblegum was her favorite flavor ice cream. Bryan liked the way Rick greeted him as if he belonged already. They were back out in the cold in no time. "Is Mommy your girlfriend?"

Bryan laughed nervously. "Yes. She is."

"Marnie was Daddy's girlfriend, and she used to kiss him. Does Mommy kiss you?"

She caught Bryan off guard. "Sometimes. Is it alright?"

"I guess so. Marnie did it all the time. If you go down there, you can see the boats, but in the winter most are gone."

Bryan was feeling, pleased when he entered the house. It quickly changed when he looked at Alison's face.

December 24th - Alison

After they left to buy the butter, she and Sam sat and rolled cookie balls. She wanted to start a conversation, but everything she thought of sounded contrived. She could ask how he slept or about school, but each idea was lame. Before she could think of an opening, she heard Cole moving around upstairs and went to check on him.

His door was closed, she knocked on it and entered. He was on his iPad but still acted as if she barged in on him undressed. She sighed. "Cole, you can't hide all day. It's Christmas Eve."

"You should have thought of that before you invited strangers to come into our house."

"Cole, Bryan is not a stranger." She suspected he heard the idea from his father.