December 24th

December 24th - Bryan

Bryan wasn't sure how Sam slept in his single bed at home when he had taken over much of the double bed they were sharing. Bryan woke early, but it was typical for him. He passed Alison's room and debated going in, but he was the one who decided they should set a good example. Instead, he went downstairs and started the coffee. He began poking around the kitchen because pancakes were his specialty. When he made them at the firehouse and even the off duty guys came in for breakfast. Sam could eat a large stack and he hoped Cole would too. He just wasn't certain when the rest of the house would wake.

Alison appeared first and her smile set his heart racing. "I thought I smelled coffee. You should have woken me."

"Believe me, I was tempted." She approached him and reached up to kiss him. He took her in his arms and after the chaste kiss, tucked her under his chin and held her. Releasing her, he poured her a cup of coffee. "Milk, right?"

She nodded and smiled. "I love you remembered."

He smiled. Why wouldn't he. "I was thinking of making pancakes for breakfast. Would your kids like them?"

"Keira will. I'm afraid Cole will sleep all day. He's taken the avoidance approach."

"Sam's no better. I'm tempted to snip the wires to his earbuds."

"He's been fine. I feel for him. At least, Cole is at home in his own bed."

"It's Christmas Eve, and I'd like a miracle. How's your coffee?"

"It's perfect. Are you sure we should keep our plans for today?" Alison asked nervously.

"What dinner with your family and your neighbor's, right?"

"Yeah, you know I hear you talk about how small Turner is. The Point is the same way with people who really care about one another. It's a big extended family."

"Everyone I've met has been welcoming. Are you hungry? I can start my first batch."

"Let me help. What do you need?"

The correct answer was you, but he bit his tongue. They worked together mixing the ingredients for the batter. The liquid was on top of the dry ingredients. When Bryan went to whisk, it sloshed on the counter.

"Why does that always happen?"

Alison just laughed at him even though it was her kitchen he was messing up. He never laughed, as much as he did with her. It was one reason he fell so hard.

Keira appeared while they were still laughing. In her pajamas, she looked sleepy and younger than her eight years.

"Do you want some pancakes?" Bryan asked.

"Yum!" She turned to her mother. "Is Santa coming tonight?" Alison told her he was. "What about Sam? How will Santa know he's here?"

Bryan smiled. "I sent him a letter."

Content with his answer, she ate the pancake Bryan set in front of her.

Alison told her daughter they would bake cookies. "Sam's favorites. After I clean up Bryan's mess."

"I'll clean the kitchen, but I remember you laughing at my mess." Bryan bumped her with his hip.

Alison eyed him with amusement. "You have flour on your nose."

Bryan leaned over and wiped his nose on her cheek and turned to Keira. "Is it gone?"

She giggled. "No. You're funny!"