Ch. 2: For you, Chase

Skye's POV

I watched Chase in horror as he flew in the air, landing a few feet in front of me. I rushed to him and found him unconscious. He wasn't breathing well. They were cut short, and he even skipped a few. I checked his heart, still beating. His mouth was slightly open. His fur was burnt almost to a crisp. I didn't know what to do. Here's my friend, dying on front of me. I didn't know how to react except stare at him. Ryder eventually rushed over and scooped him up with his arms. I lagged behind, thinking what could happen later?

Ryder placed Chase in his car and hooked up his wrench his vehicle and drove straight to the vet. When we arrived to the front, he told me to wait with the pups at the lookout. But I insisted on staying with Chase. But they'd already know something went wrong if only I arrived with no Ryder or Chase.

I gave up and headed back to the lookout. Despair swept on me and I dropped low. The others rushed towards me, asking me what happened.

"Guys! Give her some space!" Marshall backed everyone away.

Tears welled up in my eyes and I sobbed in front of all four boys. "There was an explosion, a-and..."

Rocky trembled in worry. "I-Is h-he—"

Marshall shook his head in disbelief. "No. He can't be..."

More tears rolled down my cheeks. But I pulled myself to get her to explain. "He's alive, but he's not well. Ryder has taken him to the vet."

They eased a bit, but still worried. "Tell us, Skye. Exactly what happened?" Marshall questioned.

I took a deep breath a recalled as much as I could of the event. "The van was armed, yes, but they missed us. Chase stopped them, but they ran into the woods. I think one of them had a bomb and threw it towards Chase." I paused. I couldn't bear the memory. The tears started coming again. "He was lying motionless on front of me. He was breathing but he was burned. I don't know if he even made it."

Marshall wrapped his arm around me as a whimper asked my throat. "It's okay, Skye. Chase is fighter. He'll make it."

I just really hope. Just something about losing him creates a hole inside my heart. I felt like I was losing a part of me by losing Chase. I left the room and headed to my pup house and remained there until afternoon.

Ryder's POV

I wanted in the waiting room, anxiously tapping my foot. The vet came out of the room and let me come in. I looked at my sweet pup as he lay still on a table. They cleaned him up a bit, but didn't look so good. So many thoughts ran through my head. But I would forget them since I needed space to hear what Dr. Bruner had to say.

"Chase suffered some second-degree burns, but other than that, and the explosian may have damaged his eardrum. He may not be able to hear in several days. Here's some of the pigment to use on him. Just apply two times a day until you can see a small layer of skins grow back. And with those days of temporal deafness let him rest"

I took the pot of ointment and glanced at Chase. His mid-area was wrapped in gauze. I was glad it wasn't as bad, but it will take some time before he could join on any other missions. But that was the least of his concerns. All I want is my dog to be okay. I never should've let them go on this mission. This wouldn't have happened if I had been a good owner.

Skye's POV

I wanted to see any sign of Ryder on front of the lookout, so I assume that they were to stay overnight. I noticed the other pups getting ready for bed, so I decided to let myself rest. It's been some night.

I had nothing to think of. Not Chase. Not Ryder. Not the robbers. The confusion and bitterness I was feeling was too much for a small pup like me to handle. I let my eyes close until a sound of familiar footsteps awoken me from my deep thought.