p r o l o u g e

○○○

"[Name], your father and I have a big announcement for you." My mother called out for me from the living room, her voice enough to make me snapped my head at her direction. Dropping my mechanical pencil onto my desk, I hastily stood up from my chair, feeling sore at my legs after sitting at the same spot for hours. I twisted the doorknob of my room door and exited out of my room, making my way down the stairs.

"What is it, Mother?" I asked once reaching the bottom stairs. My gaze landed on my two parents who were sitting on the couch, wearing smiles on their faces. If I had to use one word to describe them, it'd be bright because they were practically glowing at that spot.

Their eyes never left my figure as I walked over to the armchair adjacent to them. Seating etiquettes that was drilled in my head since childhood had become a normalcy to me as I subconsciously brought my knees together and slanted my legs slightly, hands resting on my lap. I then plastered a smile on my face, knowing one of my parents' golden rule.

"If someone smiles at you, you must always smile back."

I watched my mother leaned in close to my father, whispering in a soft tone into his ear. His eyebrows raised ever so slightly. I watched his lips, lip reading what he had whispered back to my mother.

"''Why me'?"

My mother gave a nudge to my father, prompting him in whatever news he's going to break. I just hope it isn't bad, but judging from their happy aura they had been emitting, it probably isn't. My father then cleared his throat as he spoke. "You're going to Kunuigaoka Junior High next week."

My eyes visibly widdened at his words. I blinked a couple of times, digesting it in my head. "Kunuigaoka Junior High?" I asked. I have heard of the school before. A prestigious junior high that has never fails to get its students to the top highschool in Japan. I had always watched students enrolled in there walked past the house from my window. I had always wondered what it'll be like to be in school, having been homeschooled for about a decade or even more.

I wasn't going to lie but I was excited. Thrilled, exhilirated, exuberant. I couldn't describe this warm yet heart racing feeling I had, clenching my hands rather tightly to keep my composure.

"I'm glad to see you all excited." My father remarked with a chuckle, forming small smile lines on his face in a way that he still looks charming even during his middle age. My father was around his forties, yet he had received compliments saying he looks around his twenties.

"Remember to be the best in your school, sweetie." My mother chimed in, whenever I looked at my mother, I see myself but with only pretty red eyes that my mother had. I had gotten my father's [Colour] orbs instead of those ruby like eyes. But either way, the way she was smiling made my smile wider.

"Thank you, Mother, Father." I smiled, I hoped I was glowing as much as they are. With two shiny parents, its hard to miss the gene pool. Long eyelashes, bright intelligent eyes and smooth skin was good genes I had inherited from my parents. It has become a family thing that whenever someone compliments my looks, my parents would argue on who I had gotten it from.

"You're excused, your father and I has somethings to discussed." My mother spoke, but there was a harshness in her voice that made it sound as if it was a command. I obliged, standing up from the armchair and giving a small bow to my parents. My smile at that point was glued to my face as I made my way upstairs.

A resounding click sound bounced off the walls of my dimly lit room as I closed the door shut, my back pressed against the wooden material. The smile that was plastered on my face vanished the moment I was finally alone. My eyes become fixated to the ground before letting out a heavy sigh. "It's really exhausting. . ."

I wobbled towards my bed before plopping myself onto it, face buried into the sheets. "It's suffocating. . ." I had seen those fake smiles everyday, but that day felt more nerve wrecking even though they were in a good mood. I stayed motionless before I recalled what my father had told me earlier.

"You'll be going to Kunuigaoka Junior High next week."

I then flipped her body over to face the ceiling, my forearm resting on my forehead.

"Kuningoaka Junior High, huh?" I muttered softly, putting my hand up in the air as I imagined the uniform on myself. It was really hard to believe that I, [Last Name], who had assumed I would be homeschooled until university, was entering Junior High at the last year of it? Yeah I might just be spending a year in that school but still-! I haven't had contact with people my age since kindergarten. Subconsciously, an eager smile had tugged my lips before I had realized it. "I'm a little excited."

○○○

Author's Note
The rest of the story is in 3rd person POV, so don't be so surprised :)

To returning readers:

Thank you for waiting, I know that the rest of the chapters have yet to be published once more, but I'm about to go to examination period so if I were to finish the entire thing, the chapters will finally be released till next year.

So I'm publishing it now, and thank you once again.

Stay safe and remember to wash your hands!