Chapter 6: The fight with the God of Lizards

We had walked through the city of the Xiahuteli. Ball courts surrounded the main plaza, while huge palaces shouldered over us. It was like a city of humongous buildings clumped together. Merchants bartered with each other's stock, farmers were harvesting their crops and I could see all kinds of women, from poor to rich. It wasn't unusual for the women to have them look at me. I was handsome, to a degree. There were temples for each part of society; warriors, ball players, and an huge observatory that I had never seen before. Our guards guided us through the city, not forgetting to meantion every single detail. It was odd. Only a moment ago, we were still in chains. All except Chauncey, who by this time was just planning his micralous but crazy plan in his mind.

God knows what he was thinking about.

There, the Temple of the Plumed Serpent stood right in front of us. The stairway leading to the temple pointed towards the setting sun. The temple was alight as night descended upon us. Every slab was bursting with colour. The serpeant heads were at the corner of the temple as we ascended towards the cornice. Every step I took, a procession of priests wearing head dresses and plumed hats. After walking what felt like hours, we finally reached the cornice. The city was beautiful to look at this from point of view. We entered the cornice and suddenly what had seemed so small had transformed into a big room. The temple's corners were full of green, light shining above. A great golden stone formed the shape of a throne as a Reptillian God, possessing the body of a human curled his fingers. Guards surrounded the main circle that stood at the centre of the temple. Mines extended down below, and bridges were built upwards for an entirely new city.

I had to admit, the cornice was very deceiving. Beautiful courtesans and servants offered tribute towards him. No wonder Chauncey had slept with one of them. The God, Xaxarta stared at him. 'Captain Chaucney. What a delight, oh and a pleasure to see you again.'

Chauncey laughed nervously. 'Xaxarta...lovely to see you again.'

Xaxarta arose from his throne. 'You know, that women of mine was a slag. She was rude, unfaithful. It is no wonder then, which she slept with a beggar like you.'

Ouch.

Xaxarta summoned his staff and pointed it at Chauncey's nose. 'So I propose a deal. You messed with a God. You shall reap the consequences. However, there is a chance for you. Did you fulfil my request to bring a hundred thousand souls?'

Chauncey shrugged. 'Thing is, I couldn't mate. I don't kill people for naught.'

Xaxarta grimly smiled. When Gods do that, be prepared for the worst. 'I knew you couldn't do it...so you will suffer for this. I shall have you as tribute and feast on your soul.'

Chauncey wasn't impressed. 'Really? That's all you could come up? I must say, I am a bit disappointed mate.'

Xaxarta was taken aback. No mortal had ever talked to him like that I guess. Even the Guards looked shock. 'What do you mean-'

Chauncey was having real fun here just by the delight spreading on his face. 'No, no, you should come up with better dialogue next time. Besides, you're just a skanky stinky God that no one eve's heard off.'

I wondered what Xaxarta would have done then. Instead, he roared. 'Be quiet mortal! I will have you punished, you will serve me for a century. And you stole my concubine. My most favourite!' To be honest, seeing the God almost whine in protest was absolutely boring.

I watched Chauncey stagger like a drunkard before stopping. 'May I remind you, O mightiest of the mightiest God, that no, your concubine tried to sleep me. Yes, you are an idiot. And no, you look ugly. And never did I intend to become a slave to you just to get you...all that money. All this boils down to the insignificant fact that right now I am here to you...to kill you.'