Chapter 15: Haxamanis's Journey

The Thief's wit.

Names of civilizations:

Khetra - Ancient Egypt

Varanagian - Vikings.

Karamania - Ancient Persia

Lacedomian League - Hellenic City States

Jiang - Chinese Empire

Koyro - based on Gorgeygo, one of the golden ages of Korea's history.

The doors of the hall opened. Haxamanis turned to see a muscled, larger than life figure stomping his sandals into the Hall of Xerxes. A Khetran wearing make-up. But not just any makeup. This was the guard from the fabled Pharaoh of Khetra. The glorious tales of the Khetrans beating back the Sea-People had spread all over the Empire, and Haxamanis as a thief had many contacts in Khetra. But an imperial bodyguard of the Pharaoh? That he had never seen before. Wearing golden armor, his headset fashioned to the style of a lion, holding a khopesh curbentded sword and bolt of Raan, the great guard bowed.

The King announced him. 'This is Namuna, son of Erebus, and descendant of the House of Ptan. Or in simple words, the bodyguard of the great Pharaoh of Khetra. He was sent personally to help us in this mission.'

Namuna bowed. 'It is my duty to protect you, oh great-king of kings.'

'That will do Namuna.'

Another door opened. Haxamanis turned to look at a man from the East of Vishaputra, from the Kingdom of Koyro. This man that arrived was certainly the most stranging looking man he'd ever seen. Wearing a headband on his head, he wore a coned hat and held a sword similar to those of the Hatekayama Samurai. The man bowed. 'From the Kingdom of Koryo, I Pak-San-Won, prince pledge my allegiance to the mission to retrieve the fire of truth. My great king, Tajeo has sent me as the Jiang threaten our borders, and the Lacedomonians have already encroached onto our territory.'

Haxamanis was swirling in his head at the thought of all nations helping each other. Karamania had immortals aplenty. Any one of them was better suited for the job than an ordinary thief plucked from the most insignificant city of the Empire. There was a particular saying that one should never get involved in politics that have a pure and honest heart. It was said that it brought out the worst in them. Now, he felt like a mere mouse in front of the two warriors. A prince, a warrior, and a thief. How extraordinary could that have been? Haxamanis had no idea what to make of the whole thing. He was clear on one thing however. Retrieve the fire of truth.

'You will make your way from Cormana to the river Halys, and then towards Chaopses through the royal road. This will be no easy journey to journey through Karmanaia. Therefore, an airship has been arranged. Beware. Our enemies have pirate airships and patrol airships. Our fleet is already impressive in battle but its resources cannot be stretched to the far. On the far edges of the Empire, you will not receive any aid. The rogue Khetran is in Lacedomonia, with the Jiang having put a blockade on our ships entering the cities. And who's to say that your journey from Cormana will make it to your destination? Where-ever you go, who-ever you speak to, trust no one. You might write the story of a tale that will be told for ten thousand generations to come. Am I clear?'

The Prince, the Bodyguard, and the Thief answered in chorus. 'Yes, your majesty!'

****

Haxamanis leaned on the wall of the air-port. Vast airships of huge sails entered back and forth. Airships from many empires and kingdoms arrived and left. Passenger airships and museum airships often docked down in the great palace. The wealth of emissaries and dignitaries from the other nations had exposed Haxamanis to a world he had never seen before. Humming to himself, his introduction with the Prince and the Bodyguard had been somewhat unsatisfactory to say the least. The Prince refused to talk with him, and the bodyguard while receptive in response did not really respect him.