6: Token

It wasn’t difficult. I grabbed a few pieces of bread from breakfast. I stole some money from Mr. Kaynolds’ wallet when he was out of the room talking to another doctor.

And I ran.

“Jeyo, try and keep up!”

“Jamie, my legs are stubbier than yours! Any idea where we’re going?”

“Anywhere. Away from the rat hole.”

“Jamie! Look!”

We had reached a lonely street behind trees out in the countryside. There was a girl on the road in jeans and a yellow shirt. Her unkempt hair was unnaturally red. I could tell she was crippled and couldn’t get up by herself. I couldn’t tell if I was the only one who could see her.

A car driving right at her in full speed answered my question. I couldn’t let the driver hurt her! Leaping, I jumped in front of her, and waited for the collision. Instead I heard skids and a crash. The driver had veered off into a tree just in time.

I helped her get up. Her freckles wrinkling into a smile, she looked at me, so gratefully, it made everything worth it.

“Thank you,” she whispered and pushed a button into my hand before limping away. It was her token.

I made a mental note to put it in my box, when I remembered I was running away. I watched her as she limped painfully away, and as I was about to get yelled at by another blind person.

“Hey KID! What do you think you’re doing? Running onto the street like that! I could have killed ya! Now look at my car!”

An angry man with gray hair approached me and called the police. I tried to run, but the driver didn’t let me. It didn’t take long for the police to figure out I was that crazy kid missing from the asylum.