1: Jamie

JAMIE

I don't understand why Mama screams and takes my hands out of the fire.

"But I need to help the small fire person, Mama!"

Why couldn't she see the dying fairy?

"Jamie! There are no small fire people. There are no fairies! You can't touch the fire, Jamie! It's dangerous and - George! Our son burned himself!"

Then she calls Papa. The fire hurt my hands. Then Mama carries me away and I start crying. Not because of my hands, but because the fairy with red wings is still stuck between the fire wood.

I am 5. I saw fairies before I was 5. Before I learned how to talk, before I knew how to use the potty, before I could walk. I saw gnomes in the garden, mermaids at the beach. Sometimes, I help them. Then they give me a gift, like a bottle cap. They call them... "a toeken of their flavor for my benivolens". Papa and Mama think I'm playing pretend, so I showed them the bottle cap. They can't see it and tell me to eat my food.

We go to my doctor, a nice lady who gives me lollipops. They talk too fast and I don't understand what they say but she doesn't look happy. I get bored so I look out the window and see other small people. I see them a lot. Sometimes, there are big people. Sometimes, they aren't people. Sometimes, they're horses with wings or birds with fire. A small person is at the window. I talk to this small sprite. I notice Papa and Mama are really quiet now. They watch me.