Chapter Thirty-Three

Vexing, if anything, was what would describe the situation Seth found himself in. Steel blue eyes stared back at him as he met Korrina's gaze. The group had all gathered inside the Tower Of Mastery where the gym was located. Standing between Seth and Korrina was Gurkinn, her grandfather and instructor. The man bore an impressive set of eyebrows that were fixed in a neutral expression as he looked between the two competitors. Seth could feel the years of experience emanating from the man at a mere glance. It was no wonder Korrina was so disciplined.

While Seth could match his strength to hers in a spar, an actual Pokémon battle was an entirely different story. Back inside the cave he saw a Mega Stone embedded into a band on Lucario's left wrist. And after reviewing his team lineup, he realized quickly that this fight was going to be one of, if not his most difficult challenge out of all the leaders to come.

"To tell you the truth, I was eager to do this yesterday. But my itch to throw hands overshadowed that by a long shot!" Korrina grinned while cracking her knuckles. "But now I'm ready."

A trickle of sweat slid down Seth's face at her statement.

"You certainly have a strong will to fight, don't you?" Seth replied, slightly nervous as he reached for Carbink's ball and snapped it off.

Glad one of us is ready. My strategy for her is patchy at best. To be honest, if she leads with Lucario I'm screwed...

"Don't try to act like you don't love a good fight. You were as happy as a child being handed a double fudge Castelia Cone, with sprinkles!" Korrina reminded him, pointing an accusatory finger his way.

"Guilty as charged I suppose," Seth laughed.

Korrina playfully stuck out her tongue.

"If you two are ready, we can begin," Gurkinn spoke up.

"Oh I'm ready alright. So Seth, you can handle yourself well in a scrap," Korrina paused, reaching for her first choice amd expanding the ball. "But how well will you do in a battle?"

Seth locked eyes with Korrina as he gripped his partner's ball.

"Both sides ready!?" Gurkinn's voice rang out, earning a nod from both sides.

"Then send out your first Pokémon!"

"Mienfoo, let's battle!"

"Carbink, battle's on!"

"Are you certain that you're okay with this? I know it's nothing fancy or anything but—"

"It's alright Grayson. Really, it is. Honestly it would have surprised me more if you didn't want to come here," Allie replied, waving him off dismissively.

"Being as it is our last day, I wanted to take us somewhere we both liked growing up," Grayson said with a nervous chuckle.

Allie smiled broadly and placed a hand on his shoulder.