Chapter Thirty

Tears well up in Miranda’s eyes as she asks, “She truly said that?”

Josh nods, pressing his  lips together.

Charlotte would rather die than give up our Complex numbers. Charlotte sacrificed herself so that we could escape.

Josh hesitantly says, “I know now may not be a good time, but I think you should know something. Charlotte was contacting with an unregistered Notice. It is very likely that there was an Official.”

Miranda nods, “I know, I know. But she gave up her life instead of betraying us.”

 “The Officials were asking about a Complex number of somebody. Would you know who those people are? They may be in danger and we should protect them.”

Miranda’s eyes find mine. I don’t know whether we should tell Josh or not. As an intelligent Tech, he might be able to help us, maybe by throwing the Officials off our trail.

Miranda says, “You realize that you must keep the information completely confidential, right? We don’t know who could be a spy.”

He says, “Of course I know Miranda. I will keep the information safe.”

“Okay. The one person that needs help is Claire.” Miranda motions to me, “We think the Officials are after her.”

“Why?”

Miranda lies, “We don’t know. She’s a few threats on her life though.”

Miranda’s Notice dings. She glances at it and her eyes widen. She turns to Josh, “Can Claire and I have some more time to talk privately please? We still have a lot to discuss.”

Josh stands to leave, saying, “Of course. I’m on my way out. Good luck, Claire, and I’ll do my best to help you.”

I smile appreciatively as he exits. Miranda turns to me, “You are escaping. Now. Piper will be here any second and I need to get the Eekes here.”

“What?”

“The Officials must have caught on quicker than expected. Excuse me for a moment.”

Miranda begins to type rapidly into her Notice. She jumps up from her desk. “I need to go to the Nurses. Stay here and…I don’t know. Piper will arrive shortly. Maybe before I get back. Just, do go anywhere.”

She ducks out of the door, sprinting down the hallway before the door even closes. I want to laugh at her command to ‘not go anywhere’. I can’t. I don’t know how Piper plans on helping us escape if all three of us Eekes are in wheelchairs. If the Officials were to chase us, we’d certainly lose in a race of speed.

Are the Officials really after us? After me?

The door on the side of the room slides open, scaring me out of my thoughts. Piper darts out, strands of her blonde hair slipping out of a messy bun. Her breathing is short and quick, and a light sheen of sweat coats her head. Instead of her normal Official uniform, she wears a gray skirt and shirt, just like all the other girls in the Complex and Unknown.

Despite everything, she grins at me, saying, “Claire, nice to see you again.”

I stare at her. How can she smile in a time like this? Officials are after us, and she has the time to grin and ask meaninglessly formal questions? Does she know about Charlotte?

Piper sits on the top of Miranda’s desk, her fingertips drumming relentlessly. I don’t know what to say, so I say nothing. She seems to be doing the same thing.

Finally she asks, “When did Miranda leave to get the others?”

“A couple of minutes ago.”