Chapter Six

I pull my head away, trying to put space between me and the leering person. The fingers gripping my arm keep me in place, no matter how I twist and turn.

I can’t tell how many people surround me in the darkness, but I can count at least four hands clamped on my arms.

I call out, trying to seem braver than I feel, “Who are you?”

My question is met with a low chuckle. The leering face moves closer, so that I can see in clearer detail. Icy fear pierces my throat.

It’s a boy.

They’re dangerous. That’s the reason we aren’t raised or allowed to socialize together. I’ve never seen one before, and I’m thankful for that. They’ve caused many wars and are ruled by greed.

I may as well be dead, standing next to a boy.

The boy catches the fear in my eyes, cackling again, “I, my dear, am what everyone calls The Distress.”

The name alone sends chills down my spine. Is that a nickname he gave himself or just what people have taken to calling him?

The Distress continues, “I am your worst nightmare, here in the Unknown. You haven’t heard of me or my gang?”

I slowly shake my head, unsure of that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

The Distress growls, “Why not? Tooth. You said that the rumors were spreading well.”

Someone behind me clutching my arm, most likely ‘Tooth’, stutters, “I thought they were.” His words come out slurred and muffled.

Before I can dwell on his strange speech, The Distress demands, “Can you explain, then, how this girl doesn’t know who I am?”

I quickly explain, “I just got here, only a couple of minutes ago.”

The Distress’s face turns sour, “When you address me, you will call me sir.”

I press my lips together but don’t say anything more.

The Distress leans forward, his nose inches from mine as he snarls, “You will call me sir.”

I glare into his eyes, “Sorry. Sir.”

The Distress backs away, becoming only a silhouette, “You will call me that until your own disappearance.”

I question, “Um…disappearance?”

Even though my heart pounds out of my chest, I try to act as nonchalant as possible. I can’t let them know that I’m afraid. I don’t know what these people want from me, but I need to make myself appear brave. Besides, they’re men. They are certainly dangerous.