After skimming through, he looked at her again. “What is this?” He questioned, looking puzzled at the content of the paper. “Why is your mother asking you not to get married?”   

Meeting his gaze, she stared with glassy eyes. Her lips trembled as her gaze fell to the floor. What was her mother up to? Why does she insist on her not marrying Anderson? Does she not understand that she loves him?  

“Sydney…,” Lance reached for her hand, at the same time the door burst open.

“The dress is here!” Kathleen strode in, cradling a big box in her arms with a broad smile on her face. However, it disappeared when she saw Sydney’s tear-stained face. “What’s wrong?” She questioned, leaving the box on the bed.

“Uh…” Sydney left Lance’s hand and turned around. She tried to wipe away her tears, but it was too late, she had seen them already. Kathleen took her elbow and forced her to look at her.

“Sydney, what happened?” Her voice lowered with worry. “Why are you crying?”

“Uh, it’s nothing.” Lance decided to come to Sydney’s rescue, as he saw that she did not want to talk about it. “You know how emotional weddings can get.” He forced a smile, while locking gazes with Sydney, urging her to play along. “Isn’t it?”

“Uh, yes.” Sydney snuffled, while dabbing at her tears with a handkerchief.

Kathleen heaved a long sigh. “Thank goodness, I thought it was something else.” She smiled. “Now let’s get you into your dress and fix your make-up.”

“Alright, I will go.” Lance said, turning around. “We will talk later.” After sharing a secret look with the bride, he walked out.

Kathleen brought back the make-up artist to re-touch Sydney’s face, before the designer helped her into her gown. It was V-neck lace embroidery, stunning fit-flare-mermaid dress. Kathleen and Rose oohed, aahed, and praised her looks but that still did not lighten her mood.        

 “I bet Anderson’s eyes will pop out of their sockets when he sees you walking down the aisle.” Kathleen joked.

“Totally.” She chuckled with Rose and Sydney only managed a smile.

Indeed, she agreed with them. She truly looked beautiful and now that they had mentioned it, she could not wait to see Anderson’s reaction to her while she walked down the aisle. She imagined his jaw falling all the way to the floor, and then grinned.

Kathleen saw Sydney’s eyes shining once again and she was finally relieved. A moment ago, she had been worried that Sydney was having second thoughts about the wedding, but now her smile reassured her that she was happy to be marrying Anderson. Of course, who would not? He was such a wonderful person.

Glancing at her wrist, she saw that the time for the wedding was almost here. “Alright, let’s go.” She moved to the standing mirror where Sydney was staring at her reflection in awe.     

“Yes, you look that damn gorgeous.” She said to which they smiled together. Kathleen gathered the bride’s train in her arms. “Ready?” She asked, as Sydney nodded.

“Not so fast.” Mary burst into the room, saying, with a shopping bag dangling from her index finger. Sydney’s heart leaped into her throat and she turned to face her almost mother-in-law, who was smiling from ear to ear. “Why would you leave when I haven’t met the bride yet?” She said, moving to hug Kathleen. After which, she pulled Sydney into a bone-crushing hug.

“Oh my, you look so beautiful!” Mary gasped while pulling away to touch Sydney’s cheek.

Sydney was stunned. Why was this woman, all excited and complementing her today? Why was she not demanding that she not marry her son? And why, was she looking so damn happy for her? Something was not right, and Sydney felt it. That devil was definitely planning something.