Family and God

JOELLE WEST, 23, interviewed by her best friend KEN POIRIER, 37

Ken: Who has been the kindest to you in your life?Joelle: Kindest? I think my Aunt and Uncle Snow. They've always been just super supportive and super just awesome ... despite the fact that I never call them, because I suck. But they're always really thoughtful and they're great. I love them. They're great.Ken: How come you never call them?Joelle: Because I'm a terrible person.Ken: No. I can't believe that.Joelle: I've been meaning to call them for like a year.Ken: Well, you doing anything this weekend?Joelle: I'm moving this weekend, but once I get moved. Let me write that down. But I see them a lot when I visit my parents. So that is good.Ken: If you could interview anyone from your life, living or dead, but not a celebrity, who would it be and why?Joelle: Does Jesus count? No?Ken: I think Jesus would be a celebrity.Joelle: Aww... Damn. I think I would interview my Papa Joe. My Grandpa on my mom's side, my step grandpa or whatever. He'd died when I was little. I have fond memories of him and I never got to know him that much. I think it would be nice to get and chat with him. I would do that.Ken: What do you know about him?Joelle: Nothing really. I know that he liked peanut M&M's and that he liked to take us on tractor rides. He died in a car accident and he died because he was wearing a seatbelt. Somehow.Ken: So, he was a farmer?Joelle: He wasn't a farmer he worked in a factory of some kind, I think. I'm not sure. I was little.Ken: Was this in Kansas?Joelle: No. All my family lives in Kentucky.Ken: Do you remember what Grandpa Joe looked like?Joelle: Yeah. He was on the taller side of average height. He was very big like Santa Claus. He had a big old belly. He was white with big old glasses with big old frames. He was bald but he had some white hair on the sides, y'know? But just a little bit. He kept it real short. He was always smiling. He was always happy with me.Ken: I bet he had his grandchildren to play with. So, if you could meet God, what would you say to him?Joelle: I would have some words! I'd be like, "What the fuck is up here, dude?", y'know? I don't know. I'd have a lot to ask. I would want to know, were the Christians right? What about the other religions? Were any of those right too, or better? I need more coffee for this one. I would definitely ask him about the egg story. Have you heard the egg story? Everyone is really the same person and they are born over and over again until they know everything, and then they become God?!Ken: So like Mormon style?Joelle: I don't know. I don't know nothing about no Mormonism.