Chapter 6 - The Rewrite in which I become a double agent for the Prince

It had already been over a year since Autumn had been named the Prince's future wife. In a couple of days we would be heading out to the Capitol so that they could conduct their official courtship under the judging eyes of the nobility. I laid in my bed, staring up at the ceiling, thinking through all the possibilities.

Ugh, it's all too tiring.

The only benefit I had was knowing the future thanks to my all powerful author knowledge. Of course, I had already changed part of the story by changing Katrina's character, but judging by what happened at Autumn's birthday party, there was a concern that no matter what I did, the main plot would continue along the predicted pathway. If this were the book, Katrina would be planning to contact the Duchess Savalle, who was the second cousin of the current king. She hated Autumn almost as much as book Katrina did, and when the foolish servant girl offered to team up, the Duchess had no qualms about using her to attack the protagonist relentlessly.

My eyes closed slowly as weariness overtook me. Now of course I had no plans to contact the Duchess; that woman was scary (I should know, I designed her that way)! However, I was sure even without me getting involved she would find another scapegoat and the plot would continue as planned.

Yep, everything would proceed just as expected.

That was when a large hand clapped down on my mouth.

ARGH!

I instinctively struck out and heard a muffled cry as what felt like a nose crumpled under my fist. Desperately I grabbed an attacker's hand and twisted it, feeling and hearing the bone crack with a sense of savage satisfaction. Another attacker grabbed my arm and pulled it behind my back. I responded by kicking him in the crotch. I freed myself, cursing my lack of weapons. I promised myself from that night forward, I would sleep with at least a knife at all times.

Just as I was jumping up and looking for my knives however, I felt the prick of a needle at my neck. My consciousness faded, but before darkness overcame me, I obsessed over a single unwavering thought:

This hadn't happened in the book!

I woke up in a cold room, shivering. I didn't recognize my surroundings, but quickly clued into a few important details:

First, I was tied up. My hands and feet were bound with black cords that seemed unnatural. On closer inspection it was clear they were physical type magic restraints. Being specialized in internal magic, there was little I could do against a spell like this.

Second, I was not alone. About fifteen men stood against the walls, dressed up as bandits. I recognized a few that had attacked me in my room before I was knocked out. I thought back to how I had broken the first assailant's nose and wrist and smiled happily to myself.

Well, even if they kill me, at least I made it painful for them.

It was a grim thought, but considering how far the plot had gone off course, I had no advantages anymore. I wished I had kept to the main plot better. At least then I would know where I was.

"Miss Katrina, I'm so happy you could join us." A cool feminine voice called out, startling me. I looked up to see an older woman in a noble dress, wearing a black silk mask over the top half of her face. Despite her attempt at disguise, with her dark red hair and grey eyes, plus given the threatening situation I found myself in, it was easy to guess whose clutches I had fallen into:

Duchess Savalle.

In the book she was a scheming noblewoman, who plotted against the Prince and Autumn to secure the throne for her son, William Savalle. Katrina teams up with her, foolishly thinking that her only goal is to get rid of Autumn, but instead is used and cast aside by the Duchess. But why had she kidnapped me? Obviously I needed to play it cool.