Chapter 4 - The Rewrite in which I get an Apology from a Duke

The Prince announced shortly after the birthday party that Autumn was no longer a simple candidate, she was his official fiancé. The girl herself was of course overjoyed, and wandered the house in a daze the entire day after hearing the news. I trailed behind her with a smile, ensuring that she didn't bump into anything and hurt herself. I was enjoying the peace and quiet while I could, since I knew that a big nuisance was headed our way.

"Good morning, Miss Katrina." The big nuisance said with a cheerful smile. I returned the expression with a polite curtsey.

"Good morning, Your Grace."

He handed me a letter. "This is for Miss Autumn from Coron. It's an apology for what happened at her birthday party, among other things." He straightened up, looking me in the eye with a serious appearance. "He also wishes me to convey his deepest apologies to you, and to thank you for preventing him from accidentally killing his future wife."

I nodded, "I appreciate the sentiment, but it is unnecessary. I was simply doing my duty."

He looked at me with an odd expression for a few moments, but before the silence could start to feel awkward, I led him over to where Autumn was waiting. She was curious as to his presence here, and was concealing it poorly, but I had the benefit of being the author, so I had already expected his arrival.

With her now being the future Queen, the Prince had dispatched his closest friend and most trusted advisor to train her in court etiquette and prepare her for the political battle she was about to be thrust into. Of course, that was not to be spread around. Officially he was there as a magic tutor. Duke Harrington was well known as a magical prodigy, and was keenly sought after by most for a few moments of training. Most people didn't know that Autumn had no magical power; in fact, she was impervious to any form of magic. This rare magical canceling ability is what first attracted the Prince's attention. She was a queen who could never be assassinated by Magic, or controlled to betray him. She had a natural advantage. So not needing any magical training, all of her focus could be devoted to preparing to live in the royal court.

James explained all this to Autumn in detail, while I listened on.

"Is that agreeable to you, Miss Autumn?"

She looked briefly at me and when I nodded my approval she looked back at James and agreed.

"Great." He snapped his fingers and a stack of books appeared on the table between them. "Then let's get started."

"... Pardon?" I almost laughed at her expression of shock. It was obvious that Duke Harrington, although he could be called many things, a procrastinator was not one of them.

As they got started I went to the kitchen to prepare snacks. The chef, typically protective of his territory, simply smiled and waved me over. Years of studying cooking at his side had paid off. I made some quick desserts and headed back to Autumn and her new teacher.

"But why do I have to stir my drink three times before every toast, that seems like such a useless rule!" I had only been gone a short time, but she was already frustrated. The Duke stared at her firmly.

"Miss Autumn, although its true that many of the rules of royalty are useless and outdated, just as many are there for a reason." He grinned, "The important things is to understand what the rules are and why they are there. Only then can you know which ones you can bend, which you can break, and which are absolute."

She frowned. "Which category does to drink stirring rule fall into?"

"The absolute one."

"That's ridiculous, why?"