"She was old and had a tumor. It was his first experience with loss. Do you want a pet?"

"Would it magically make everyone love each other?"

Bryan didn't have to answer his laugh let her know what he thought. Bryan was still laughing when Cole walked through the door. Alison was laughing and didn't hear him until Keira called out. "Cole, Bryan's funny."

Cole looked from his mother to Bryan and back again. Their laughter had ceased, but both had a leftover smile.

"Honey, come and meet Bryan. Keira go knock on Sam's door and tell him Cole's home."

Cole ignored their guest. "What's for dinner? I'm starving."

"Pasta, but we had a late lunch, so it will be a little while."

"I ate at eleven-thirty!"

"I know you did. Have a snack I have pepperoni."

"Whatever."

He turned and walked out of the room. Alison turned to Bryan. "Did he even look at you?"

"It's fine. Give him a chance to get used to this."

Keira appeared. "He said he was asleep."

Bryan sighed and started towards the door, but Alison grabbed his arm. "Give him a chance to get used to this."

Keira was oblivious to the tension "Bryan will you color with me."

Alison smiled when Bryan agreed without hesitation. As they colored, he told Keira about his nephews who were younger than her. He loved them and Alison felt guilty for wanting to take Bryan from his family.

They let the boys be until dinner when they expected them to sit at the table and be civil. None of the kids knew the amount of planning that went into this visit. Just coming up with a menu was difficult. Once they determined that all three kids liked pasta, they actually debated the best shape. Alison soon realized Sam was less picky. He ate pasta at his Nona's house, but Bryan said it was most often homemade, but at home they cooked spaghetti with jarred sauce. Both her kids liked the thin angel hair and so she cooked that. Alison made her sauce the day before which she knew was better than jarred, but probably not the Italian grandmother's.

The meal started out quiet and she wanted to force the conversation but knew she couldn't. She suspected the boys had things in common, but they would never know, unless they spoke to each other. Finally, she reminded everyone of their evening plans. "After dinner, we need to decorate the tree and then we can watch a Christmas movie. Sam, what's your favorite?"

He shrugged, but after he caught his father's eyes. "I don't know The Santa Clause Movie."

Cole joined in. "No, The Grinch with Jim Carrey."

Alison said, "My favorite is It's A Wonderful Life, but I don't expect any of you to like it." Truthfully, her favorite was Love Actually, but it wasn't age appropriate. Their greeting at the Jetport earlier didn't have that Love Actually feeling because of Sam, but in October it definitely did.

"My favorite is one I have been trying to get Sam to watch with me, but haven't succeeded," Bryan said.

Alison watched as Cole eyed Sam. Sam replied to his father. "Yeah, because it's old."

"That crappy movie my mom likes is old." Cole argued.

Alison said, "We can let Keira pick."

Cole said, "No! I am not watching Annie!" Out of desperation, he finally spoke to Bryan. "What's yours?"

Bryan smiled. "A Christmas Story."

Cole shocked Alison "Evan was talking about it at lunch. He said it was lit."

"So, do we have a plan?" Alison smiled, as Sam shrugged and Cole nodded. She breathed a sigh of relief and caught Bryan's eye, as he winked at her.

Tree decorating was yet another event not like the movies. The boys only put on a few ornaments. Cole found it necessary to bring up family stories which included his dad with each ornament he chose. Keira put the most on, and Alison spent her time rearranging the ones her daughter clumped together. Bryan was very helpful in filling up the top section of the tree since he could reach although Sam wasn't far behind him in height. Cole was shorter, but Curtis was shorter than Bryan's six feet. Alison liked the way her head fit perfectly under Bryan's chin and longed to put it there, but not in front of the kids, at least not yet.

The movie went remarkably well, but it didn't require talking. The boys often laughed at the same parts, especially the scene with the flagpole. They paused for a moment while she tucked Keira in.

"Do you think Bryan will color with me tomorrow too?"

Alison felt tears in her eyes as she nodded. "If you ask him, I bet he'd play a game, too."

Thankfully, one child was accepting Bryan. She went back down and took her place between Cole and Bryan. Keira had been on the floor or Alison's lap much of the time. Bryan slipped his hand into hers and squeezed, as they continued with the movie.

When she went into Cole's room to say goodnight, he was long past the age of being tucked in. "Can you give Sam a chance? Tomorrow maybe you could ask him to play a game or watch those things you like to watch on YouTube or go for a walk. Something. Please."

She didn't dare ask him to give Bryan a chance yet. It would be too much too soon.

December 23rd - Bryan

Bryan went upstairs to settle Sam in. "I'm going to go downstairs for a little while."

"Are you going to go kiss her?"

Bryan smiled. "Maybe. Sammy, I know it must be weird for you seeing me with Alison after Mom. I never even dated."

"What about Susy Kowalski?"

"I didn't date Susy. I was having drinks with Mike and she joined us. Then Mike had to leave, and she stayed. I couldn't be rude even though I knew she was interested."

Sam smirked. "Say what you want, but the whole town knew about your date."

"Sam, the whole town knows more than they should."

"Every single girl in Turner wants to date you. Why did you have to choose one so far from home?"

"Sometimes love chooses us. Please just give Alison a chance and her kids."

"Keira isn't so bad. She isn't as annoying, as my cousins."

Bryan smiled. "Good night. Don't hog the bed."

"Don't snore."

"I don't snore!"

Sam just laughed. Bryan smiled and felt immense love for his son.

Once downstairs, Alison handed him a glass of red wine. "We both deserve this."

"It could have been a lot worse. Sam said Keira is less annoying than Darlene's two."

"Well, Keira's taken with you. I think you'll be doing more coloring. I suggested you play a game."

"I'd stand on my head if that's what it takes for her to accept me."

"The crazy thing is I think she has. It's the boys. I'd like it if they at least gave each other a chance."

Bryan nodded. "Enough talking."

Alison smiled and met his lips. After they parted, she groaned. "I wish you could sleep with me."

"We'll never get them to accept us that way."

"I know you're right, but it doesn't mean I have to like it."

"Me either." Their lips met again.