December 23rd

December 23rd - Alison

One kiss all afternoon was not enough for Alison. She had missed Bryan and understood they couldn't freak Sam out, but it was hard. She really liked his son, perhaps because she saw a lot of Bryan in him. Sam didn't have Bryan's unique dark blue eyes, but he had his adorable dimples. Sam's hair was longer than Bryan's who kept his short. She remembered when he told her he went to the barber every three weeks and always asked for a number four clip. Alison loved the feel of his hair. She wanted to reach over and touch his head.

Alison was nervous as they walked back to The Landing to wait for the bus. Keira's arrived first and Cole's came about forty minutes later. Cole normally walked home alone, and she debated whether they should wait for him. When Alison saw Kristi waiting for the bus, she knew Kristi would want to meet Bryan. Keira and Ivy often played after school, and she considered Kristi a friend.

Alison walked over to Kristi and introduced her to Bryan and Sam. Sam looked visually uncomfortable, and Alison thought he was lucky because Kristi acted reserved. Just before the bus, an SUV pulled into the lot. It surprised Alison to see Peter home from work to meet the bus, but it was practically Christmas. He nodded but didn't greet either her or Kristi since the bus arrived and they were each surrounded by their children.

Keira bounced over to her with a big smile. Alison greeted her and then she turned to Bryan. "Honey, these are our friends Bryan and Sam."

Keira was suddenly shy and clung to her hand, as they walked home. Perhaps it was best to stay home and let Cole make his way on his own as he did almost every day. She felt on edge as if waiting for something to happen. By the time they were home, Keira acted more comfortable. Alison took her into the kitchen for a snack and Bryan followed while Sam disappeared. When Bryan started to go after him, Alison spoke up.

"Let him be for a while."

Bryan's phone interrupted him and Alison listened as he spoke. He turned to her and smiled. "That was Biddeford. He wants to meet with me on the twenty-seventh."

"That's great! I keep hoping you'll get a position in town, but Biddeford isn't too far. It's a city, so it wouldn't be boring."

"Turner can be very boring, but then again I get paid to talk to you." He teased.

Alison turned to Keira. "Remember I told you Bryan is a firefighter."

"I know they came to school and talked about stop, drop and roll."

"I love going to schools and talking to the kids. It's one of my favorite parts of the job."

"Do you drive the firetruck?"

"I do and I turn on the siren and honk the horn. It can be fun."

Keira smiled and Alison relaxed. Keira wasn't the one she worried about. She had learned to be adaptable in her young life.

She listened as Bryan told Keira about rescuing a cat from a tree. Alison interrupted him and accused him of making it up. "I'm serious."

"What was its name?" Keira asked completely engrossed in the story.

"I think it was Mittens."

"Really?"

"No, that part I don't remember."

"We should get a cat or a dog." Keira looked toward her mother with her cute expression. Never had she mentioned a pet before. At that moment, Alison would agree to anything if it meant Sam and Cole accepted the changes in their lives.

Bryan looked at her. "I don't know, honey." Keira ran off to get her coloring. "Sam had a cat when he was younger."

"What happened?"