December 9th

December 9th - Alison

Alison Butler paced around her kitchen, stopping to stir the ground beef as it cooked in the skillet. Cole gave her a big smile when she told him it was taco night. It was no coincidence she was serving both her children's favorite meal. Her stomach felt sour, and she wasn't sure she could eat. She planned to wait until they had eaten both their dinner and the whoopie pies she bought as a treat. At thirteen, would Cole suspect something was wrong?

She remembered the night they had told the children about the divorce. She and Curtis had taken them out to Red Robin their favorite restaurant and let Cole order a chocolate milkshake even though it would fill him up before his burger arrived. He always complained when Alison said no. At the time he wasn't even eleven and hadn't grown his hollow leg. Now he could drink all of the milkshake and eat his burger with a refill on the fries. Maybe she should have taken them out, she suddenly second-guessed herself.

It had been over two years since Curtis moved out and Alison finally didn't feel lonely anymore. She had been almost as lonely in her marriage, as she was when she decided she couldn't make it work anymore. It was hard being married to a man she didn't love. Without love, over the years it became increasingly difficult to like him. They hadn't dated for very long when they married, but it was the best option when she became pregnant. At first, she was so wrapped up in the pregnancy and then Cole as a baby the marriage was fine. For all his faults as a husband, Curtis was a really good father. Alison worked hard to be happy, because she didn't like to fail. By the time Cole went to school, she was miserable. Curtis knew she was unhappy and tried. He listened to her and helped around the house and as a result instead of asking for a divorce, she announced her second pregnancy.

Again, when she was expecting Keira and busy with her new baby, everything was better - never perfect but better. When Keira started school, Alison finally found the courage to tell Curtis she wanted a divorce.

He looked at her as if she were crazy. "Is this because I said no to the house? I told you I don't want to live at the beach in the winter."

They had been casually house hunting hoping to move out of Portland. Alison fell in love with a house on The Point. It was expensive, but they could save money because they wouldn't have to pay private school tuition if they moved out of the city. As a photographer, Alison wanted to be close to the beach for photo shoots, and the room above the detached garage would be perfect for a studio. She could work from home and be with the kids after school. Ironically, while she was buying a coffee, she heard the house was on the market because of a divorce.

"It isn't about the house, it's because I'm not happy. You work long hours and come home and as soon as the kids are in bed, you sit in front of the TV. When was the last time you asked about my day?"

"Fine, how was your day?" He sounded like a whining child.

"You need to care to listen to my answer if you're going to ask." She sighed.